USB Boot Flash - Invalid boot.ini file

Michel REYDET

Hi,

I would like boot my target with a USB Flash disk.
I prepared my flash following this instructions :
- Format USB
- Copy NTDETECT and NTLDR
- Copy the sdi file
- Convert in NTFS
- Modify the boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=ramdisk(0)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
ramdisk(0)\WINDOWS="RAM XPE" /fastdetect
/rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\RemoteXPE.sdi
/rdimageoffset=4096

When my target boot, the error message are :
- Invalid boot.ini file
- Boot from C:\windows
- NTDETECT Failed

Regards.

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Michel,

Your boot.ini file looks ok.

Make sure that you fdisk and format USB disk on target device. And for testing purposes do not convert it to NTFS.

Regards,
Slobodan

vic

I have also been looking at doing something similar with usb key and
sdi ramdisk method.

I have:
system capable of booting a usb device
a usb key that will boot DOS, formatted FAT
a working XPe image with usb support
created image.sdi from the working XPe image above
successfully ram boot this sdi from a harddrive

When same set of files are used to boot from usb key, I am able to see
the boot.ini menu, but the system will immediately reset when the boot
is attempted.

Boot.ini as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=ramdisk(0)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
ramdisk(0)\WINDOWS="XPE RAM" /fastdetect
/rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\image.sdi
/rdimageoffset=4096
ramdisk(0)\WINDOWS="XPE RAM2" /fastdetect
/rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\image2.sdi
/rdimageoffset=4096

Seems like I'm close with this, just missing something....

Not sure it addresses Michel's problem, but thought I'd offer my
experiences.

Regards,
Vic

Michel REYDET said:
Hi,

I would like boot my target with a USB Flash disk.
I prepared my flash following this instructions :
- Format USB
- Copy NTDETECT and NTLDR
- Copy the sdi file
- Convert in NTFS
- Modify the boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=ramdisk(0)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
ramdisk(0)\WINDOWS="RAM XPE" /fastdetect
/rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\RemoteXPE.sdi
/rdimageoffset=4096

When my target boot, the error message are :
- Invalid boot.ini file
- Boot from C:\windows
- NTDETECT Failed

Regards.

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Usually ntldr should report error.
But if you were able to reach multi os choice and it does not work, you should try different ARC path:

/rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0)\image.sdi

Regards,
Slobodan

Michel REYDET said:
Hi,

I would like boot my target with a USB Flash disk.
I prepared my flash following this instructions :
- Format USB
- Copy NTDETECT and NTLDR
- Copy the sdi file
- Convert in NTFS
- Modify the boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=ramdisk(0)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
ramdisk(0)\WINDOWS="RAM XPE" /fastdetect
/rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\RemoteXPE.sdi
/rdimageoffset=4096

When my target boot, the error message are :
- Invalid boot.ini file
- Boot from C:\windows
- NTDETECT Failed

Regards.

vic

Thanks for the suggestion Slobodan. I'll give revised ARC path a try.

Regards,
Vic

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\) said:
[...]

Cato Svellingen

Hi,

do you need a special USB key to be able to boot from it ?

Or is it possible with a normal ZipKey as long as the BIOS supports USB boot
?

I know that mSystems claim they have a new type bootable USB DiskOnKey,
http://www.m-sys.com/Content/Corporate/Press/prInfo.asp?id=550,
is anyone using this ?

Cheers

Cato

"Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

Hi Cato,

M-Systems have complete boot suite that allow you to use uDOC devices (DOK devices are not supported although they could work) as
you would use any HDD.
This mean. You plug it to dev machine. Copy XPe to uDOC, move it to target machine and let FBA do its job on uDOC.
http://www.m-systems.com/content/Products/Product.asp?pid=29

Regards,
Slobodan