My first diskless station

G

Hi!

I try to build Diskless station with XPe on it.
I have created image in Target Disigner - 110Mb, created SDI 170 Mb where this image is allocated and created ramdisk.sdi to download it through the network to the station.
The PXE, TFTP work fine but when FBA starts it reboots station continuously after "Change System Hive".
MSDN says that it can be caused by wrong SDI file showing. I have changed all i thaught but nothing helped.

Here is my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=ramdisk(0)\windows
[operating systems]
ramdisk(0)\windows="Win XPe" /fastdetect /rdpath=net(0)/test4.sdi /rdimageoffset=4096

I use Remote Boot Manager with ramisk.sdi congfigured in it.

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Dmitry,

One hint about SDI boot.
You must run FBA on HDD, and when you are satisfied with the look of XPe run time, you will create SDI image from post FBA
(configured XPe) image.

You must do that in this way for now, sorry :(

Best regards,
Slobodan

Dmitry Gostev said:
Hi!

I have created image in Target Disigner - 110Mb, created SDI 170 Mb where this image is allocated and created ramdisk.sdi to
download it through the network to the station.
The PXE, TFTP work fine but when FBA starts it reboots station continuously after "Change System Hive".
MSDN says that it can be caused by wrong SDI file showing. I have changed all i thaught but nothing helped.

Here is my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]
ramdisk(0)\windows="Win XPe" /fastdetect /rdpath=net(0)/test4.sdi /rdimageoffset=4096

K

KM

Dmitry,

Beside the fact that you have to have post-FBA image in your SDI file
(basically, remote booted image does not acept a reboot), there are also
some inconsistencies in your message.

You boot.ini file seems to point to test4.sdi while you told us you created
and used ramdisk.sdi. So, make sure you use proper SDI file. You mentioned
FBA starts and goes so I think you downloaded the proper SDI file but who
knows :).
Btw, for the first test you may not need a custom boot.ini file. Just set
Boot image and Boot Parameters fields for the individual device in Remote
Boot Manager (UI) and you are good to go.

KM
Hi Dmitry,

One hint about SDI boot.
You must run FBA on HDD, and when you are satisfied with the look of XPe
run time, you will create SDI image from post FBA
(configured XPe) image.

Best regards,
Slobodan
where this image is allocated and created ramdisk.sdi to

Here is my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]

G

Hi Slobodan,

Thank you very much for the hint but i have got one issue now - if the purchased hardware that will run the XPE image does not include HDD.
for example Compak Thin clients (they are diskless but there is a thin CD-ROM drive - i dont know standard of the IDE connection)
Should i find thin 2,5" HDD from laptop and run FBA on htis configuration first?

Slobodan Brcin (eMVP) said:
Hi Dmitry,

One hint about SDI boot.
You must run FBA on HDD, and when you are satisfied with the look of XPe run time, you will create SDI image from post FBA
(configured XPe) image.

Best regards,
Slobodan

Dmitry Gostev said:
Hi!

I have created image in Target Disigner - 110Mb, created SDI 170 Mb where this image is allocated and created ramdisk.sdi to

Here is my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Dmitry,

I have no idea what cables are used by this device. You will have to look at the connector to see how it look and then you will know
what to plug in it.

Best regards,
Slobodan

Dmitry Gostev said:
Hi Slobodan,

Thank you very much for the hint but i have got one issue now - if the purchased hardware that will run the XPE image does not include HDD.
for example Compak Thin clients (they are diskless but there is a thin CD-ROM drive - i dont know standard of the IDE connection)
Should i find thin 2,5" HDD from laptop and run FBA on htis configuration first?

Slobodan Brcin (eMVP) said:
Hi Dmitry,

One hint about SDI boot.
(configured XPe) image.

Best regards,
Slobodan

Dmitry Gostev said:
Hi!

Here is my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=0
[operating systems]

Ask a Question