USB external drive problems

Rick Savery

Hi

I have a problem with an external bus-powered hard drive. It experienced a
'delayed write error' and then became invisible to Windows Explorer and,
after re-booting and plugging the drive in again, it show up in Device
Manager as an 'Unknown Device'.

The only way I can access it - at a reduced speed - is to disable the SiS
Enhanced Host Controller. However, this then means that I cannot access USB
2 devices, like my TV tuner.

I have installed Windows XP SP3, which apparently includes a Hotfix for just
such an issue as this, but with no joy.

It has happened before, and I had to re-format my Laptop's hard drive and
re-install everything, and I really don't want to do that again.

I would appreciate any help or advice you can give

Thanks

Rick

PS I have posted this to a number of newsgroups so apologies if you see this
more than once.

David B.

Reposting this to different groups at different times isn't going to get you
an answer any quicker (you posted to xp.general and hardware over an hour
ago). Pick a select few groups that are applicable and properly crosspost,
don't pick different groups an hour later and post again. It may take a few
hours or more to get a reply from someone that may have an answer for you.

Rick Savery

Apologies if I am breaking the rules somewhat. I am afraid I rarely use
newsgroups and am not entirely sure how to crosspost - hence the postings to
multiple groups. But I actually posted them all at the same time, not an
hour later in some cases, as you state, I suspect that some servers are
busier than others.
Just out of interest - and no sarcasm intended - what difference does it
make whether one crossposts or posts to multiple groups at the same time ?
Apologies again
Rick

Rick Savery

Hi david
forget that last question. I have had a look at the link on your message re:
crossposting. See what you mean - that can be annoying if you have to pay to
play
Apologies
Rick

David B.

It can be annoying period. It makes it hard for us and you to track answers,
rather than each of the crossposts being updated with each reply, causing
different people to end up giving you the same advise, not realizing someone
else already did in a different post. Just for future reference :)

Ken Blake, MVP

Apologies if I am breaking the rules somewhat. I am afraid I rarely use
newsgroups and am not entirely sure how to crosspost - hence the postings to
multiple groups. But I actually posted them all at the same time, not an
hour later in some cases, as you state, I suspect that some servers are
busier than others.
Just out of interest - and no sarcasm intended - what difference does it
make whether one crossposts or posts to multiple groups at the same time ?

Please do not send the same message separately to more than one
newsgroup (called multiposting). Doing so just fragments the thread,
so someone who answers in one newsgroup doesn't get to see answers
from others in another newsgroup. And for those who read all the
newsgroups the message is multiposted to, they see the message
multiple times instead of once (they would see it only once if you
correctly crossposted instead). This wastes everyone's time, and gets
you poorer help than you should get.

If you must send the same message to more than one newsgroup, please
do so by crossposting -- sending a single message simultaneously to
multiple newsgroups (but only to a *few* related newsgroups).

Please see "Multiposting vs Crossposting" at

Roy Smith

Rick Savery said:
Apologies if I am breaking the rules somewhat. I am afraid I rarely use
newsgroups and am not entirely sure how to crosspost - hence the postings
to multiple groups. But I actually posted them all at the same time, not
an hour later in some cases, as you state, I suspect that some servers are
busier than others.
Just out of interest - and no sarcasm intended - what difference does it
make whether one crossposts or posts to multiple groups at the same time ?
Apologies again
Rick

The difference between multi-posting and cross-posting is that when you
cross-post a message to several newsgroups, once you've read it in one
newsgroup that message will be marked as read in all newsgroups that it was
cross-posted to. On the other hand if you multi-post a message to several
newsgroups, and the person reads all the newsgroups it's posted to, then
they will see it in every newsgroup.

Since you're headers show that you are using Outlook Express 6, then you are
already using a newsreader instead of the web interface through a web
browser. To cross-post using OE6 just click on the top line where it says
Newsgroups. This opens a window which will show a list of newsgroups that
you can cross-post your message to. Down in the bottom left corner of this
window is a toggle where you can have it show only the newsgroups you have
subscribed to, or all newsgroups available on the server. Just click on the
newsgroups you want to post to in the left window, then click the add button
in the middle to add them to the window on the right side and click done
when you're finished. Then compose you message and send it out.

Aiacha

I am having a very similar error, but not using a hard drive proper but my
mp3 player (ipod shuffle 2nd gen) and my camera (Casio Exlim Z80). At first
I thought it was a shuffle problem since we have an external hard drive
hooked up with no problems, and have no problems updating our ipods, both
with USB. The shuffle will be seen by iTunes, but not by XP. I have watched
in Disk Management and the shuffle will blink as if it is trying to be
recognised, but doesn't stick around. The camera doesn't show up at all. I
know it isn't the camera as I had no problem using the camera while I was
running Win2000. This is a brand new install of XP (less than a month) and
I'm pretty sure I updated it to pick up SP3.

Aiacha

I apologize. I thought it would be best since the problems seem related.
Consider my question rescinded.

Jim Moriarty said:
I am having a very similar error, but not using a hard drive proper but my
mp3 player (ipod shuffle 2nd gen) and my camera (Casio Exlim Z80).

[SNIP]

Don't hijack someone else's thread - START A NEW ONE.

jackreece

Rick Savery said:
[...]

My first post to a newsgroup so please bear with me.

Ok since i have an identical problem I read this thread with interest. But
could not see an answer to Rick's problem and since my problem is indentical
Im not trying to steal his post..just looking for a solution.

I have one extra twist to Rick's statement below. no matter what I plug into
my usb ports they all show device not recognized. and show up as Unknown
device as well.
And my device manager shows no problems with any usb port. I have tried to
reinstall the drivers but that did not help. Where can I find more drivers
for the usb ports (hopefully a free download and not driver detective either)
Iam running XP Pro with everyupdate microsoft has to offer sp1 thru and
including sp3 and all other updates.
I did buy a new multi-port usb hub and plugged that in and same result.
device unknown.
I do have two devices plugged in to the usb ports, a HP printer and a scale
for my postage system...both of which work perfectly and show up in the
device manager listing.
I sure would like some help on this.
Thank you
(e-mail address removed)