usb ext hd not showing up

Reaction score
Hi there-I had a pc system, that I decided to give away minus the two hard drives (60gb and 250gb). One has an o/s (win xp) and other data, the other just has programmes and other data. I recently brought from a pc fair a usb2 external hd cage, it didnt work so I took it back this weekend. I was able to exchange it as it was clear it was faulty, for the second one, the guy put one of my hard drives in the case, (I brought along the 60gb). It clearly showed up on the system, being registerd as new hardware, then showing up under the "My Computer", "Manageing" section. He left the jumper in the hd on master and i went home. Later on however, when I tried it on both my other desktop and laptop, it does not show up. The light on the external box glows green, I can hear the hd whirring.

My systemssoftware on both is; win xp, 1gb memory on both systems, avg/zone alarm/ spybot and ad-aware. Thought it might be latest win xp updates, but no joy there.

TIA-Klepton30

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah the Power of USB

Does this external box have it's own power supply? ... if not, go get a Powered USB Hub ... look for HighSpeed USB2 on the hub.

Master is the correct jumper setting for the HD. What make of PC do you have?

user.gif

Reaction score
The external hd case has its own power supply, the pc is a Fujitsu Siemans, P4, 1gb memory, x700pc-i graphics card, 250 sata hd, 1xdvd player, 1xdvd re-writer, 19 inch tft monitor, 6 usb 2.0 ports, seperate usb hub, memory card slots.

I hope this is enough information

TIA
Klepton30

muckshifter

Reaction score
OK,

Well, what should happen is, you plug it in, XP should 'bing-bong' and say it has found a new device ... and away you go.

If not, try another USB port til you have non left then try an external powered USB Hub, if still no luck, buy a new PC.

However, this is USB and you ain't alone by a long shot as to whether this does work or not.

I take it you have all the updates to XP

Try over at ... http://www.usbman.com/ ... he knows his stuff and I think they have a Forum now to. :thumb:

user.gif

Reaction score
When I plug it in there is no "bing-boing" as you call it-yet if i plug in a different usb device I hear that sound, will try the other usb port option, not sure about external host powered, will have a look amongst my junk. As to getting a new pc-I will put that down to you being "funny". I did uninstall some of the updates as I thought they mayhave been the problem, have downloaded them again recently. Will try the link that you post and then see what happens but if you stil have advice, please contact me.

Kelpton30

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well, no, I wasn't really being 'funny' but unlike buying a Car, buying a PC is a minefield.

You have 6 USB 2 ports, without knowing exactly what the MB is, I'll bet you any money that maybe one is fully compliant with USB2 the rest will be sort of, maybe work, if we ain't pushing our luck.

My favorite game is the "numbers game" ... take as read, every propriety manufactured PC is ripping off the end user, you.

There are 3 standards to USB 2 ... ;)

Has this external drive 'caddy' have a brand name?

Reaction score
No, unforunatley, not the external hd case is a generic one-with no specific brand name, mind you earlier on in the year, I brought from ebay a sony external case and that does not show up either. I will try all the other ports one by one to see if anything happens, other than that any other advice you have will be greatly received.

klepton30

Ask a Question