USB Enhanced Port

BChat

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64 bit
Device manager shows these ports.
Anybody know how to tell which is the "Enhanced" port?

Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
**Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC**

Thanks,
BChat

philo

BChat said:
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64 bit
Device manager shows these ports.
Anybody know how to tell which is the "Enhanced" port?

Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
**Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC**

Thanks,
BChat

Since your hardware is fairly new, I'm sure all ports on your mobo are USB2

USB1 mobo's were dropped a number of years ago...
probably before Vista even came out

BChat

BChat said:
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64 bit
Device manager shows these ports.
Anybody know how to tell which is the "Enhanced" port?

Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
**Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC**

Thanks,
BChat

Since your hardware is fairly new, I'm sure all ports on your mobo are USB2

USB1 mobo's were dropped a number of years ago...
probably before Vista even came out

Thanks philo,

Is the ENHANCED controller a certain USB port, or does it refer to all of
them? The reason I ask is when I was installing a scanner, it said it might
work better if it was in an Enhanced port. A popup window highlighted
"Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC" and I
have no clue what USB port it is on the machine.

BChat

Richard Urban

We don't have the manual here to tell you which one (physically) is an
enhanced port. Conversely - you DO have the manual!

BChat

Thanks Richard,

I know so little about the USB system I couldn't even ask a cool question
;-) - off to "RTM"
BChat

We don't have the manual here to tell you which one (physically) is an
enhanced port. Conversely - you DO have the manual!

BChat

I RTM'd - it told me nothing - zilch - zero - nada.
Must be a need-to-know item and somebody has decided I don't have the need
:)

BChat

<grin>

Ferd Burfel

The short answer: they all are.

The long answer:

Universal Host Controllers are USB 1.1, at speeds of 1.5Mb or 12 Mb. They
control 2 ports. Having 4 of them should indicate that you have 8 ports.
Some may be used by built-in devices such as memory card readers.

Enhanced Host Controllers are USB 2.0, capable of speeds of 480Mb. They
control 8 ports. They share the same 8 ports of the Universal Host
Controllers.

You will also see listed 5 USB Root Hubs. 4 of those are 2-port USB 1.1
hubs, the 5th is an 8-port USB 2.0. All of this switches automatically to
whichever controller/hub is needed depending on whether the device is USB
1.1 or 2.0.

Ferd

BChat

Thank you - now I know, and understand USB a lot more.
BChat

The short answer: they all are.

The long answer:

Universal Host Controllers are USB 1.1, at speeds of 1.5Mb or 12 Mb. They
control 2 ports. Having 4 of them should indicate that you have 8 ports.
Some may be used by built-in devices such as memory card readers.

Enhanced Host Controllers are USB 2.0, capable of speeds of 480Mb. They
control 8 ports. They share the same 8 ports of the Universal Host
Controllers.

You will also see listed 5 USB Root Hubs. 4 of those are 2-port USB 1.1
hubs, the 5th is an 8-port USB 2.0. All of this switches automatically to
whichever controller/hub is needed depending on whether the device is USB
1.1 or 2.0.

Ferd

John

One easy way to find out is to insert a USB 2.0 flash drive into the ports,
one at a time. If you see a message popping in the system tray, telling you
that you may get faster speed if you use other port... that port is NOT a
USB 2.0
It is an enhanced port (USB 2.0) otherwise.

John

BChat said:
Thanks philo,

The reason I ask is when I was installing a scanner, it said it might
work better if it was in an Enhanced port.

There's your clue. That port might NOT be a USB 2.0
A popup window highlighted
"Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC" and I
have no clue what USB port it is on the machine.

Instead of asking, wouldn't it be quicker if you try each one of the ports,
1 at a time? You only have a few USB ports to work with.

BChat

"John" <a> wrote in message
BChat said:
Thanks philo,

The reason I ask is when I was installing a scanner, it said it might
work better if it was in an Enhanced port.

There's your clue. That port might NOT be a USB 2.0
A popup window highlighted
"Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC" and I
have no clue what USB port it is on the machine.

Instead of asking, wouldn't it be quicker if you try each one of the ports,
1 at a time? You only have a few USB ports to work with.

-----
John,

I did try that. However, I later learned that upgrading to Acronis True
Image Home 2009 had a bug in it that
messed with the USB ports a little. I got the pop up once, but never again
since the ATI bug was fixed.
I now have the quickly released ''latest build" of ATI, USB issues fixed.

This is the location shown on the properties for the printer:
0000.001d.0000.002.000.000.000.000.000

I'm going to try to use the ports, I think there's 7 in all, and see if I
can figure what all those number mean,

I don't know why they couldn't assign a simple USB1, USB2, USB3 designation
to each port.

So much for "Keep It Simple"

Thank You for your time,
BChat

Telstar

BChat said:
"John" <a> wrote in message

There's your clue. That port might NOT be a USB 2.0

Instead of asking, wouldn't it be quicker if you try each one of the
ports,
1 at a time? You only have a few USB ports to work with.

-----
John,

I did try that. However, I later learned that upgrading to Acronis True
Image Home 2009 had a bug in it that
messed with the USB ports a little. I got the pop up once, but never again
since the ATI bug was fixed.
I now have the quickly released ''latest build" of ATI, USB issues fixed.

But not a myriad other bugs, including how the Secure Zone is dealt with on
the boot disc (try it sometime). I was forced to revert with great
difficultuy back to version 11 of ATI.

BChat

----snip---
I did try that. However, I later learned that upgrading to Acronis True
Image Home 2009 had a bug in it that
messed with the USB ports a little. I got the pop up once, but never again
since the ATI bug was fixed.
I now have the quickly released ''latest build" of ATI, USB issues fixed.

But not a myriad other bugs, including how the Secure Zone is dealt with on
the boot disc (try it sometime). I was forced to revert with great
difficultuy back to version 11 of ATI.

Telstar,
I put a version 10 image back on the HD - no bug
I put a version 10 image on my 2nd HD - no bug

I went to the ATI forum to post the issue, and it had already been
addressed. I got a newer build and put it on one HD - all seems well. I'll
wait a while before I put it on the 2nd HD. I make full back ups every day
or so and restore as needed. That is all I do, very simple. I tried version
11 - got a refund real quick. 2009 has worked OK for the last day and a
half.

BChat

Ferd Burfel

You're welcome.