USB Controller Driver??

G

I've a two year old HP notebook (Pavilion zt1155) that has been troublesome. Just out of warranty the USB ports stopped working as did the built in modem. I tried working through it with HP support, but stopped when they wanted it taken in to a shop. I bought a PCMCIA modem to solve that problem (mostly use e-net anyway). Recently, I decided to try to get a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card working for an external hard drive (NEC chipset, 2 ports). I figure that even if the mother board has a bad I/O chip, so long as the PCI bus is working, the PCMCIA card should work. Seems logical. Nope. XP (home) saw that there was a USB controller, but complained it couldn't find a driver. So, I tried uninstalling the USB driver. But it still can't find a USB controller driver. The hardware manager has the yellow '?' for Other Devices, and lists the 'Modem Audio Device' and 'Universal Serial Bus controller' both with yellow '?'. I can run Windows Update, but it doesn't find a driver for the USB. Any thoughts?

R

Rich Barry

Gordie, have you installed SP1 Windows Update?
Gordie said:
I've a two year old HP notebook (Pavilion zt1155) that has been
troublesome. Just out of warranty the USB ports stopped working as did the
built in modem. I tried working through it with HP support, but stopped when
they wanted it taken in to a shop. I bought a PCMCIA modem to solve that
problem (mostly use e-net anyway). Recently, I decided to try to get a USB
2.0 PCMCIA card working for an external hard drive (NEC chipset, 2 ports). I
figure that even if the mother board has a bad I/O chip, so long as the PCI
bus is working, the PCMCIA card should work. Seems logical. Nope. XP (home)
saw that there was a USB controller, but complained it couldn't find a
driver. So, I tried uninstalling the USB driver. But it still can't find a
USB controller driver. The hardware manager has the yellow '?' for Other
Devices, and lists the 'Modem Audio Device' and 'Universal Serial Bus
controller' both with yellow '?'. I can run Windows Update, but it doesn't
find a driver for the USB. Any thoughts?

G

Yes, Rich. SP1 is in. Windows Update shows all critical and driver updates as current.

Ask a Question