USB cable

Craig

How can I identify a USB cable is USB1.1 or USB 2.0 compliant? I have
several cables but couldn't figure out.
Craig

GTS

If they're not marked, there's no sure way to tell. A USB 2 cable can
always be used with USB 1. Most "USB 1" cables work fine with USB 2. The
difference is one of manufacturing quality. It is possible that a poor
quality older cable might have a problem with USB 2 speed, though it's not
that all that common.

Alan

Craig said:
How can I identify a USB cable is USB1.1 or USB 2.0 compliant? I have
several cables but couldn't figure out.
Craig
My understanding is that the cables are the same. USB 2.0 at the
"host/master end" has a greater power capacity, i.e. more watts, then USB
1.1.
Alan

BigRedWingsFan

Alan said:
My understanding is that the cables are the same. USB 2.0 at the
"host/master end" has a greater power capacity, i.e. more watts, then USB
1.1.

I have an older PC with USB 1. Can I use USB 2 products (i.e external CD-RW
drive, etc.)?

Marty

Alan

BigRedWingsFan said:
I have an older PC with USB 1. Can I use USB 2 products (i.e external CD-RW
drive, etc.)?

Marty
It very much depends how much power the device consumes and what else you
have connected to the other USB ports - mouse/keyboard etc. I suggest you
Google for both USB specs and then see if 1.1 is up to what the external
drive requires.
Alan

BigRedWingsFan

Alan said:
It very much depends how much power the device consumes and what else you
have connected to the other USB ports - mouse/keyboard etc. I suggest you
Google for both USB specs and then see if 1.1 is up to what the external
drive requires.

Would it make a difference since I have a 4-way USB hub with its own power
source?

Marty

GTS

Alan said:
My understanding is that the cables are the same. USB 2.0 at the
"host/master end" has a greater power capacity, i.e. more watts, then USB
1.1.
Alan
That's not correct. USB 2 cables tend to have better shielding and better
quality conductors to operate at the higher bandwidth. The issue is the
data signal, not the electrical capacity.

GTS

BigRedWingsFan said:
I have an older PC with USB 1. Can I use USB 2 products (i.e external
CD-RW
drive, etc.)?

Yes. USB 2 devices are backward compatible. Of course they will only run
at USB 1 speed in this situation. That limits external CD-RW burning to 4X,
for example. You can buy a USB 2 PCI card for about $15 to add USB 2
capability to an older PC.

GTS

I have an older PC with USB 1. Can I use USB 2 products (i.e external
Would it make a difference since I have a 4-way USB hub with its own power
source?
The issue of power supply for USB devices is basically the same with either
version of USB. It must be adequate for the devices attached. A powered
USB hub is generally fine (barring something unusual like using 4 power
heavy devices on the same hub).

BigRedWingsFan

GTS said:
The issue of power supply for USB devices is basically the same with
either version of USB. It must be adequate for the devices attached. A
powered USB hub is generally fine (barring something unusual like using 4
power heavy devices on the same hub).

Thanks! My CD-RW died and I was thinking of getting an external one but
wasn't sure of the compatibility with the USB 2.0 device. I only use the
hub for my scanner and digital camera (only when downloading pictures) so I
shouldn't have any problems I wouldn't think.

BigRedWingsFan

GTS said:
Yes. USB 2 devices are backward compatible. Of course they will only run
at USB 1 speed in this situation. That limits external CD-RW burning to
4X, for example. You can buy a USB 2 PCI card for about $15 to add USB 2
capability to an older PC.

Thank you very much.

Craig

.The issue is the data signal, not the electrical capacity

Could you please elaborate a little further what does the above line
mean (to novice).?
Thank you. Craig

Craig