Urgent Help For Outlook 2003

P

Peadar Conway

Im in serious need of help. The woman in charge of accounts where i work asked me to take a look at her outlook 2003 because it wouldnt start. It kept given an error and then option to boot into safe mode.

So I go into safe mode and under the 'help' menu is an option to fix problems (cant remember the exact name). So I run it and it doesnt fix it. I run it a second time, only this time I tell it to restore settings to default (thinking this would just loose any folders she made and dump everything into the inbox).

So after its finished fixing outlook, it restarts the program and then it (outlook) starts perfectly. Only it has no accounts. It's just like a fresh install of outlook.

So now I've lost 2 years worth of emails and theres a delay in any incomming ones aswell. Whats happened?? Can anyone help me get these back. She doesnt even know the settings such as incomming servers or outgoing, shes not even a hundred percent sure of the password. Please my job is on the line here.

Any help is very much appreciated. .
Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com

P

Peadar Conway

Thanks for the help. I have since found out there was 2 seperate accounts. One with the ISP and the second is a gmail.

I was told if I can get the gmail back up and running then buisness can carry one. However since they used outlook for the gmail, nobody bothered to memorise the password. So Im going to email Gmail in a few hours and hopefully they can reset our password.

By the way, I did a search for a pst an ost files but didnt find anything. Even the directory for the file was gone...? does this mean I have lost all the old emails.

Lastly, when I went to add a new account, the very first gmail we had (a redundent account) was offered to us as an "existing account". Which I was able to successfully get into. Why do you think the settings for this account were saved but the other 2 active accounts lost??

I really appreciate your help.

DL wrote on Tue, 20 October 2009 13:36
Without knowing your configeration, Exchange, pop, Imap difficult to be
precise

Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com

B

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

By the way, I did a search for a pst an ost files but didnt find anything.
Even the directory for the file was gone...? does this mean I have lost all
the old emails.

The folder where PSTS go by default is a hidden folder. Open Control Panel,
start the Folder Options applet, click the View tab, and enable viewing hidden
files and folders. You should be able to browse to the folder then and see
its contents. Alternatively, open Windows Explorer and enter

%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

into the Address field and click Go. You should see the contents of the
folder then.
Lastly, when I went to add a new account, the very first gmail we had (a
redundent account) was offered to us as an "existing account". Which I was
able to successfully get into. Why do you think the settings for this
account were saved but the other 2 active accounts lost??

There are several scenarios that could explain this, but it shouldn't be a
factor. Your existing PSTs should exist and you should be able to add them
into your existing mail profile. Alternatively, open the Mail applet in
Control Panel, click Show Profiles and see if the old mail profile is still
there. If so, make it the default profile.

Ask a Question