URGENT: CD-ROM Devices fail to load after install of W2K

• Thread starter Warren C. E. Austin
  • Start date
W

Warren C. E. Austin

I "upgraded" to W2K from Windows'98.

Whilst the two CD-ROM's (one Reader only, the other Reader/Writer) have been "found" according to the Device Manager, and the relevant Device-drivers do appear to have been installed (the usual suspects, namely: cdrom.sys, redbook.sys and storprop.dll); unfortunately, neither CD-ROM is actually working, with Device Manager saying the "Device is not working because the Drivers failed to load", with an Exclamation-mark Icon appearing beside each Device.

Both CD-ROM's DO ACTUALLY WORK; the reader was, and is, the default BIOS "Boot-device"; with both Drives accessible under the "Dual-boot" option at the MS-DOS Command-prompt, the correct MS-DOS Device-drivers being loaded through the config.sys and autoexec.bat files.

Both CD-ROM's worked perfectly fine under Windows'98.

I need to have one, or both CD-ROM's working inorder to install Printer Drivers, ASDL, et all, and to "Repair" two or three Applications as necessary under W2K, with Microsoft Office'2000 being one of these.

Any suggested remedies here?

Warren

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

I recommend a clean installation of Win2000, in order to avoid
the numerous compromises that had to be made to adapt
a fundamentally different OS (Win98) to Win2000.

Warren C. E. Austin said:
I "upgraded" to W2K from Windows'98.

Whilst the two CD-ROM's (one Reader only, the other Reader/Writer) have
been "found" according to the Device Manager, and the relevant
Device-drivers do appear to have been installed (the usual suspects, namely:
cdrom.sys, redbook.sys and storprop.dll); unfortunately, neither CD-ROM is
actually working, with Device Manager saying the "Device is not working
because the Drivers failed to load", with an Exclamation-mark Icon appearing
beside each Device.
Both CD-ROM's DO ACTUALLY WORK; the reader was, and is, the default BIOS
"Boot-device"; with both Drives accessible under the "Dual-boot" option at
the MS-DOS Command-prompt, the correct MS-DOS Device-drivers being loaded
through the config.sys and autoexec.bat files.
Both CD-ROM's worked perfectly fine under Windows'98.

I need to have one, or both CD-ROM's working inorder to install Printer
Drivers, ASDL, et all, and to "Repair" two or three Applications as
necessary under W2K, with Microsoft Office'2000 being one of these.

W

Warren C. E. Austin

Crash said:
Just happened to me when I uninstalled CDRWin 5.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 270008

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/Q270/0/08.ASP&NoWebContent=1

Jon

Thank you so much for the information. I will "save" that particular page for future reference.

As it would happen, I worked backwards from my problem when it was suggested that I should have not upgraded from Windows'98. Before even attempting the install of Windows'2000, I had made *.reg files of what would become the "old" Registry, and once the Windows'2000 install had been completed I then restored the "Software" elements of those files inorder to not have to re-install all of the existing software, and only have to upgrade those requiring Windows'2000 specific drivers. I have done this hundreds of time now since Windows'2000 was released, with this being the first upgrade to have failed in this manner. Before attempting to import the settings I of course had backed up the then "new" Windows'2000 Registry.

Firstly backing up the failed Windows'2000 install (this is the one where I had imported the "old" software settings) I then proceeded to restore the backup I had made of the initial "clean" install, referred to as the "new" Registry above, made almost immediately after the successful upgrade from Windows'98. I discovered that at that point all was as it should have been. Therefore I do have to assume that the problem described under this particular TechNote is likely the culprit. Software, across the board is being reinstalled as I write this, with the machine experiencing no further difficulties.

Warren C. E. Austin

Ask a Question