Upgrading to AMD 64 X2 Processor

Charles Irwin

Hello All;

I have upgraded my PC from AMD 64 4000+ to
a AMD 64 X2 4200+ dual core Processor do I need to
reload Win XP Pro SP2?
Win XP detected the Dual core CPU and loaded the
all important ACPI Multiprocessor PC Driver.
Taskmanger shows two CPUs.
I have heard that the Kernel is not the SMP version and I will
need to reload WinXP Pro SP2 from scratch.
Is this True?

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

If you are not having any problems, and XP seems to be behaving itself, I'd
leave it as it is.

pete

I upgraded from AMD fx57 to the AMD x2 4800, and used XP pro sp1, then
installed sp2 and all the updates, so far no problems at all.
Make sure you download the amd driver for the xp pro(32bit). There is a 64
bit version if you are using xp64.

Charles Irwin

Thanks

pete said:
I upgraded from AMD fx57 to the AMD x2 4800, and used XP pro sp1, then
installed sp2 and all the updates, so far no problems at all.
Make sure you download the amd driver for the xp pro(32bit). There is a 64
bit version if you are using xp64.

Charles Irwin

Thanks,

It seems to be working fine.
The reason for my concern is Sisoft Sandra will not benchmark in SMP mode
;-(

Just want to make sure.

Thanks for your Response.

Charles

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Charles,
You do not need to reinstall, Windows XP detected and loaded the multi-proc
hal which it was supposed to do.
You have the correct hal and kernel to allow for mult-processing., you are
good to go.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Charles Irwin" <[email protected]>
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
<Subject: Re: Upgrading to AMD 64 X2 Processor
<Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:31:11 GMT
<
<Thanks,
<
<It seems to be working fine.
<The reason for my concern is Sisoft Sandra will not benchmark in SMP mode
<;-(
<
<Just want to make sure.
<
<Thanks for your Response.
<
<Charles
<
<
<
<<> If you are not having any problems, and XP seems to be behaving itself,
<> I'd leave it as it is.
<> --
<> Cari (MS-MVP)
<> Printing & Imaging
<>
<>
<>
<> <>> Hello All;
<>>
<>> I have upgraded my PC from AMD 64 4000+ to
<>> a AMD 64 X2 4200+ dual core Processor do I need to
<>> reload Win XP Pro SP2?
<>> Win XP detected the Dual core CPU and loaded the
<>> all important ACPI Multiprocessor PC Driver.
<>> Taskmanger shows two CPUs.
<>> I have heard that the Kernel is not the SMP version and I will
<>> need to reload WinXP Pro SP2 from scratch.
<>> Is this True?
<>>
<>
<>
<
<
<

Sparda

Hello All;

I have upgraded my PC from AMD 64 4000+ to
a AMD 64 X2 4200+ dual core Processor do I need to
reload Win XP Pro SP2?
Win XP detected the Dual core CPU and loaded the
all important ACPI Multiprocessor PC Driver.
Taskmanger shows two CPUs.
I have heard that the Kernel is not the SMP version and I will
need to reload WinXP Pro SP2 from scratch.
Is this True?

Is windows working now? If it is, probably not.