Upgrading From NT4.0 & Exchange 5.5 to Win2K & Exchange 2000

Jamal Mubarik

Hi:

I am very nervous about exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000 Upgrade. I can handle
NT4.0 to WIN2k advance Server . Please help with your expiriences or
relevent microsoft articles.

New Servere = WIN2k advance server exchange 2000 (Active
Directory domain controller)
Existing equipment = NT4 server (PDC) 4.0 SP6a with Exchange 5.5 SP4
We want the new 2000 server with exchange 2000 to take
over from the echange 5.5 on the NT4 server.

We may want to rename the domain name from GS to GSRI.com It is not
neccessary but desirable. If it creates complications than I rather do
without it. We only have 15 users. If it was not for exchange I would treat
it as new install. The Old server with NT 4.0 SP6a cannot be upgraded to
Win2k Adv Server because raid controller is not compatible winth WIN 2K.

Thanks

Respectfully

James
(e-mail address removed)

909-469-5557

Oli Restorick [MVP]

I would now be looking at skipping Exchange 2000 entirely and migrating
directly to Exchange 2003. This can be installed on Windows Server 2000,
but has had several changes to make migration from Exchange 5.5 easier.

Oli

shades2

Subject: Re: Upgrading From NT4.0 & Exchange 5.5 to Win2K & Exchange 2000
From: Oli Restorick [MVP] <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup

I would now be looking at skipping Exchange 2000 entirely and migrating
directly to Exchange 2003. This can be installed on Windows Server 2000,
but has had several changes to make migration from Exchange 5.5 easier.

Oli

Apparently from what I've briefly read in the Exchange newsgroups, there is no
path to go direct from Exchange 5.5 to Ex. 2003. You have to go to Ex. 2000
first or a temporary server before making it to Ex. 2003.

--

"We're in the pipe... 5 by 5..."

shades2 (Perth, WA)
http://www.iinet.net.au/~shades2

Oli Restorick [MVP]

You can do a migration from 5.5 to 2003, which for many people I imagine
would be easier than a direct upgrade to 2000.

Oli