Upgrade won't work...

Recently, I've noticed a serious slowdown on my PC, in that it takes minutes
for start-up and shut-down. I figured that I'd try to re-install Vista (Home
Premium) using the "upgrade" selection...wrong answer! It goes through the
motions, and at the very end, I get a message that states that "Windows was
unable to upgrade, and that your originail windows configuration was
restored."

On top of that, I was given a copy of Vista Ultimate Upgrade, and I get the
same thing...it goes through all of the motions, and I get the same message,
in that I can't upgrade...what gives? All help is greatly appreciated!

Generator, I need to elaborate...I already have Vista Home Premium installed
(Dell OEM...I have the disk). What I wanted to do is to wipe out everything
and start from scratch. I tried the "Update" option, it goes through the
motions, but in the end, gets restored to the original configurations
(something is prohibiting it from going all the way). Sorry for any miscomms.

John Barnes

If your intention is to start from scratch, you should use the restore disk
or partition or use the custom install option if an OEM Vista DVD

Dave B.

Generally, when using a restore disk, you must boot the PC from it. reboot
the PC with the disk in the drive, and go in to BIOS setup (usually F2 on a
Dell) and make sure the DVD is first in the boot order.

Tom Scales

That's not correct.

For one, F2 on a Dell is to get into the BIOS.

Restore is Ctrl+F11 and I am assuming that is what he is doing, since
that is the ONLY way to do a restore on a Dell. Personally, I'd just do
that and uninstall what you don't want.

However, if you do want a clean install, first download every driver you
need from the Dell support site and burn them to a CD or put them on a
USB key.

Then boot the machine with the XP DVD that was provided with the
machine. It is NOT a restore DVD. It is a vanilla Vista DVD. Go
through a normal Vista install using the key that is attached to the PC
case.

You will then need to reinstall all your applications. It is possible
that you did not receive a CD/DVD for everything that was preinstalled,
so for those applications, they will be lost forever.

If you need more help, I'd suggest the Dell newsgroup.

Tom
Posted At: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:50 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Conversation: Upgrade won't work...
Subject: Re: Upgrade won't work...

--
----
Scotty said:
Generator, I need to elaborate...I already have Vista Home Premium
installed
(Dell OEM...I have the disk). What I wanted to do is to wipe out
everything
and start from scratch. I tried the "Update" option, it goes through the
motions, but in the end, gets restored to the original configurations
(something is prohibiting it from going all the way). Sorry for any
miscomms.

Dave B.

Did I not say to use F2 to go into BIOS setup and check the boot order? The
OP said he has a recovery CD, Ctrl+F11 is for the onboard recovery if
present, it's not used to boot from recovery media, at least that is how it
is on the Dell's I've dealt with. And what does XP have to do with anything,
the machine shipped with Vista.

--
----

Scotty said:
Generator, I need to elaborate...I already have Vista Home Premium
installed
(Dell OEM...I have the disk). What I wanted to do is to wipe out
everything
and start from scratch. I tried the "Update" option, it goes through the
motions, but in the end, gets restored to the original configurations
(something is prohibiting it from going all the way). Sorry for any
miscomms.

Tom Scales

He doesn't have a restore disk. Dell doesn't ship restore disks. The
only way to restore to a factory fresh image is CTRL+F11.

XP was a typo on my part. Should read Vista DVD.

Posted At: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:50 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Conversation: Upgrade won't work...

Generally, when using a restore disk, you must boot the PC from it.
reboot
the PC with the disk in the drive, and go in to BIOS setup (usually F2
on a
Dell) and make sure the DVD is first in the boot order.

--
----

Dave B.

So his statement of "Dell OEM...I have the disk" is a lie?

--
----
Tom Scales said:
He doesn't have a restore disk. Dell doesn't ship restore disks. The
only way to restore to a factory fresh image is CTRL+F11.

XP was a typo on my part. Should read Vista DVD.

Posted At: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:50 AM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Conversation: Upgrade won't work...

Generally, when using a restore disk, you must boot the PC from it.
reboot
the PC with the disk in the drive, and go in to BIOS setup (usually F2
on a
Dell) and make sure the DVD is first in the boot order.

--
----
Crosspost, do not multipost
Generator, I need to elaborate...I already have Vista Home Premium
installed
(Dell OEM...I have the disk). What I wanted to do is to wipe out
everything
and start from scratch. I tried the "Update" option, it goes through
the
motions, but in the end, gets restored to the original
configurations
(something is prohibiting it from going all the way). Sorry for any
miscomms.

Tom Scales

No, he has a disk. It just isn't a restore disk. It is a Vista install
DVD. Dell doesn't ship restore disks. They provide real OS disks.

One of the reasons I prefer Dell.

[...]

All you are going to have from a Vista install DVD is Vista installed. If
you want the original configuration you need to restore from the Restore
Partition.