Upgrade Scenario to 2003

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just writing to get some advice as i'm panicing a bit about a 2003 upgrade we're going to perform, and you all seem really helpful here.

The current setup:

3 sites, all sites have a server running windows 2000 sp4 and exchange 2000 connected up via VPN each is a domain controller, running DHCP and DNS
We have a main domain controller here at the head office (HQ)

We are going to upgrade to Windows and Exchange 2003. I've been told this needs to be done with as little or no down time as possible. :(

I've been sprawling through forums and walkthroughs and found a (i'm assuming) good guide which i'm planning on following for all 3 of the sites:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Exchange2000-Exchange-2003-Hardware.html

I'm going to run these commands before doing any of the adprep stuff at the HQ

ldifde.exe /i /f
inetOrgPersonFix.ldf /c "DC=mycorp,DC=com"

How do i replicate these "through the forest" to make sure all domain controllers are ready? Do i need to run these on all the servers?

I'm then going away for a few weeks after that the new servers should arrive... hopefully.

So i'm now going to install 2k3 on them and exchange.

Now the tricky bit, enabling active directory and exchange.

I'm not sure what would be the best option here
I need to:

enable DHCP
enable DNS

copy mailboxes over
get the server managing all the exchange tasks
promote the server as an AD controller
copy all the users in active directory over

remove the old server from the

also at some point i need to move the servers IP to that of the old servers so we dont loose our VPN link to exchange etc.

I then need to copy this process over to the other sites, will the first 2003 server be able to communicate with the 2000 ones ok for a while?

If anyone has any tips, suggestions, a logical order that could help i'd really appreciate it!!

Many thanks

Martin

Ask a Question