Upgrade possible OR new Mobo and CPU?

Reaction score
Upgrade possible OR new Motherboard and CPU?

Can't seem to get a straight answer from anywhere and I'm out of my depth, so can u guys please help?

I have a Soltek - SL-75DRV2 motherboard with AMD Athlon XP 1800 Palomino CPU.

I would like to upgrade just the CPU but am being told conflicting info.

The Soltek site only recommends up to Athlon 2100 and says THE 75DRV2 doesn't support Thoroughbred CPU's (but DRV4 and 5 do).

I'm being told a AMD XP 2400 will be ok as it has 266 FSB (max supporting in manual).

If I have to swap Motherboard a) is this a difficult job and what are the risks? (I really don't want to have to reload lots of hardware and drivers etc.) or b) should i bite the bullet? And what's a good value upgrade?

Any help / advice / recommendations appreciated

Last edited:
Reaction score
It all depends on your budget.

You will get faster speeds by upgrading the motherboard and CPU because you could get a motherboard that supports a 2800+ 333fsb

but

If you use a 333 processor i would reccomend using 333 (pc2700) RAM to go with that.

CHanging a motherboard isn't too difficult proving you know a fair bit about hardware.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
A decent AMD motherboard will only set you back about £40 take a look at this one: http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=119398&cks=PRL

When upgrading your Motherboard so it can take a faster processor, you have to think of other components too. Say you buy that motherboard above and lets say a nice shiney new AMD 2800XP processor, you then really need to fork out for some PC 2700 (333Mhz) memory/ram.

The upgrade you want to do will set you back less than £200 for the processor (if your going for a 2800XP) and 512 DDR (PC 2700) memory and the motherboard i said. You will notice a significant performance increase, and if your into games, pair that lot with a decent graphics card, and your set for a while ;).

Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
A decent AMD motherboard will only set you back about £40 take a look at this one: http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=119398&cks=PRL

When upgrading your Motherboard so it can take a faster processor, you have to think of other components too. Say you buy that motherboard above and lets say a nice shiney new AMD 2800XP processor, you then really need to fork out for some PC 2700 (333Mhz) memory/ram.

The upgrade you want to do will set you back less than £200 for the processor (if your going for a 2800XP) and 512 DDR (PC 2700) memory and the motherboard i said. You will notice a significant performance increase, and if your into games, pair that lot with a decent graphics card, and your set for a while ;).
This man speaketh the wise truth :D

Reaction score
Well the consensus seems to be change motherboard and cpu.

If I'm goin' for gaming graphics is the following recommended (I have a GeForce FX 5600)

Asus A7N8X-E-Deluxe
Athlon XP 3000
512MB DDR PC3200 400 MHZ

This package is £222 from Novatech (thanx for the link Gonna Get U)

Any improvements on that?

Thanx

Reaction score
I would however suggest the Abit KV7 - it has SATA and an uprated chipset (600 not 400 i think)

its only a couple quid more.

Reaction score
no problem m8 !

going thou an upgrade myself and still not sure what to go for - finnaly order my graphic card today - radeon 9800 pro - still not sure where to got intel or amd !

Ask a Question