upgrade of home edition not possible

Hello there
I just bought a new toshiba laptop (Satellite p25-s487) which is preinstalled with windows xp home edition SP1. When I tried to upgrade with professional editon SP1, after it checks all the hadware it restart with its first boot and it stops there with a blank screen. Infact I even tried to reformat the HDD and tried to install professional edition sp1, but same problem. My XP Professional edition CD works fine on other PC. Is it related with the hardware issue or what? I checked the Toshiba home page but they said it is microsot related matter
any help from anyone
my PC is very latest, Pentium IV 3GHz, 512MB, 60GB HDD, combo CD drive with DVD writer, 17 inch diagonal LCD screen size

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Did you purchase a "Retail Version" of XP Pro?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Hello there,
| I just bought a new toshiba laptop (Satellite p25-s487) which is preinstalled with windows xp home edition
SP1. When I tried to upgrade with professional editon SP1, after it checks all the hadware it restart with its
first boot and it stops there with a blank screen. Infact I even tried to reformat the HDD and tried to
install professional edition sp1, but same problem. My XP Professional edition CD works fine on other PC. Is
it related with the hardware issue or what? I checked the Toshiba home page but they said it is microsot
related matter.
| any help from anyone?
| my PC is very latest, Pentium IV 3GHz, 512MB, 60GB HDD, combo CD drive with DVD writer, 17 inch diagonal LCD
screen size.

haresh

Did you run the Check Compatibility wizard first ?
did it suggest anything ?

Sincerely,
Haresh
ExperienceTraining.com NYC.
Tefera bekele said:
Hello there,
I just bought a new toshiba laptop (Satellite p25-s487) which is
preinstalled with windows xp home edition SP1. When I tried to upgrade
with professional editon SP1, after it checks all the hadware it
restart with its first boot and it stops there with a blank screen.
Infact I even tried to reformat the HDD and tried to install
professional edition sp1, but same problem. My XP Professional edition
CD works fine on other PC. Is it related with the hardware issue or
what? I checked the Toshiba home page but they said it is microsot
related matter.
any help from anyone?
my PC is very latest, Pentium IV 3GHz, 512MB, 60GB HDD, combo CD
drive with DVD writer, 17 inch diagonal LCD screen size.

yes, I checked the compatibility test and it finally
tells me that the only driver not compatible was the DVD
RAM, which is used to write DVD. Is this related with DVD
drive?

How do I know this is a retail version? My freind send me
this original CD with its package, and I installed it on
many PC in my teaching lab. All PC works fine, desktop
and laptops.
any clue and suggestion from my explanation?
Did you purchase a "Retail Version" of XP Pro?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

news:41E45ADC-B2A2-483A-AA98- (e-mail address removed)...