Upgrade: Home Edition to Professional

Mark K.

I'm trying to upgrade an XP Home Edition to XP
Professional using a corporate CD. The installation
software goes out to MS web site to get the lastest
installation files and determines that 3 programs need to
be re-installed after the installation. When I click
next to continue I get the following error message:

Cannot complete the Windows XP Setup Wizard

The wizard did not install Windows XP on this computer
either because you cancelled the wizard, or because an
error occurred.

I've successfully upgraded Windows 98 and ME without any
problems.

Any ideas?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Windows XP Setup Cannot Continue
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812247

Windows XP Installation Bugs and Setup Issues
http://www.labmice.net/WindowsXP/Install/installbugs.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mark K." (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| I'm trying to upgrade an XP Home Edition to XP
| Professional using a corporate CD. The installation
| software goes out to MS web site to get the lastest
| installation files and determines that 3 programs need to
| be re-installed after the installation. When I click
| next to continue I get the following error message:
|
| Cannot complete the Windows XP Setup Wizard
|
| The wizard did not install Windows XP on this computer
| either because you cancelled the wizard, or because an
| error occurred.
|
| I've successfully upgraded Windows 98 and ME without any
| problems.
|
| Any ideas?

Mark K

I tried your suggestion and xcopy'd the files from the CD
to the hard drive (\i386). I ran c:\i386\winnt32.exe and
still received the setup error listed below.

Is there any know bugs when upgrading from ME to XP Home
Edition to XP Professional?

Thanks