upgrade from NT

JenP

Getting error: can't upgrade because of evaluation copy of
Windows. - It's not an eval. copy, but I don't know why
I'm getting this error. will XP upgrade only install over
Windows 2000?. I had asked that before purchase and they
said "no." Why else would this be occurring? Thanks!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You need the "retail upgrade version" of Windows XP Professional
in order to "upgrade" over Windows NT workstation.

Windows XP Supported Upgrade Paths
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Getting error: can't upgrade because of evaluation copy of
| Windows. - It's not an eval. copy, but I don't know why
| I'm getting this error. will XP upgrade only install over
| Windows 2000?. I had asked that before purchase and they
| said "no." Why else would this be occurring? Thanks!

It says "Upgrade" right on the cd itself, but I don't believe I ever asked for the "retail" version. There is a difference??
----- Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote: ----

You need the "retail upgrade version" of Windows XP Professiona
in order to "upgrade" over Windows NT workstation

Windows XP Supported Upgrade Path
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;292607&Product=winx

--
Carey Frisc
Microsoft MV
Windows XP - Shell/Use

Be Smart! Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect

| Getting error: can't upgrade because of evaluation copy of
| Windows. - It's not an eval. copy, but I don't know why
| I'm getting this error. will XP upgrade only install over
| Windows 2000?. I had asked that before purchase and they
| said "no." Why else would this be occurring? Thanks

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Do you have an upgrade version of Windows XP Professional? That is
important to know.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| It says "Upgrade" right on the cd itself, but I don't believe I ever asked for the "retail" version.
There is a difference???

JenP

Yes. I can give you the part no. if that helps. E85-00087-
OEM
Do you have an upgrade version of Windows XP Professional? That is
important to know.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

---------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------

(e-mail address removed)...

| It says "Upgrade" right on the cd itself, but I
don't believe I ever asked for the "retail" version.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Error Message "Setup Cannot Upgrade..." When You Upgrade to Windows XP Professional
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319424&Product=winxp

OEM software cannot be used to upgrade from a previous retail version of Windows.

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"JenP" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| Yes. I can give you the part no. if that helps. E85-00087-
| OEM

But it was OEM to begin with - NT came from Compaq already installed. How can it be and "upgrade" and OEM anyway?

Len Segal

JenP,

There is NO such animal as an "Upgrade" OEM version. Every OEM version is a
"stand-alone" product that is designed to install ONLY to a bare HDD.

You either need to get the Retail Upgrade product or install to a bare HDD.

If someone sold you an OEM OS that was also marked "Upgrade" on it, I'd be
willing to bet that it is a Counterfeit copy! There just is no such animal!

Len Segal, MCP
Microsoft - MVP
My reply address is intentionally wrong to reduce SPAM Email.
NOTE: We do not respond to unsolicited Email support questions,
please post questions in newsgroup.