Upgrade from 2000 -> 2003 with Exchange 2000 in domain

A

Alexander Oleshev

Hello there,

I've got to convert existing 2000 domain into 2003-"compatible". Unfortunatelly, I've got Exchange 2000 installed there as well. I've checked Q325379 for instructions, but it contains some strange instruction re using ldifde command:

c:\iop>ldifde -i -f inetorgpersonprevent.ldf -v -c DC=<X> "<dn path for forest root domain>"

what I can't understand is what I need to specify after "-c" parameter and after that in quotes...

Let's say that domain name is DC=Company,DC=com. Forest contains single domain. Then what should I specify in there ?

Here is website instruction:

Type the following command, and then press ENTER, where <X> is a case-sensitive constant (dc=corp,dc=tailspintoys,dc=com) and <dn path for forest root domain> is the domain name path for the root domain of the forest:

any idea what they mean ?

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Alexander

L

Leif Pedersen [MVP]

Hi,

I believe that the syntax is -c DC=X "dc=domain,dc=com"

I find it however just as easy to change this with adsiedit. Find the three objects in the schema container, get the displayname of the objects and change these exactly as the article says.

Leif

"Alexander Oleshev" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse Hello there,

I've got to convert existing 2000 domain into 2003-"compatible". Unfortunatelly, I've got Exchange 2000 installed there as well. I've checked Q325379 for instructions, but it contains some strange instruction re using ldifde command:

c:\iop>ldifde -i -f inetorgpersonprevent.ldf -v -c DC=<X> "<dn path for forest root domain>"

what I can't understand is what I need to specify after "-c" parameter and after that in quotes...

Let's say that domain name is DC=Company,DC=com. Forest contains single domain. Then what should I specify in there ?

Type the following command, and then press ENTER, where <X> is a case-sensitive constant (dc=corp,dc=tailspintoys,dc=com) and <dn path for forest root domain> is the domain name path for the root domain of the forest:

Kind regards,
Alexander

A

Amy-Leigh Mack[MSFT]

There is no problem running Exchange 2000 in a Windows 2003 domain. The
only requirement is that Exchange 2000 cannot be installed on a machine
running Windows 2003.

(e-mail address removed)
Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Hello there,

I've got to convert existing 2000 domain into 2003-"compatible".
Unfortunatelly, I've got Exchange 2000 installed there as well. I've checked
Q325379 for instructions, but it contains some strange instruction re using
ldifde command:

c:\iop>ldifde -i -f inetorgpersonprevent.ldf -v -c DC=<X> "<dn path for
forest root domain>"

what I can't understand is what I need to specify after "-c" parameter and
after that in quotes...

Let's say that domain name is DC=Company,DC=com. Forest contains single
domain. Then what should I specify in there ?

Type the following command, and then press ENTER, where <X> is a
case-sensitive constant (dc=corp,dc=tailspintoys,dc=com) and <dn path for
forest root domain> is the domain name path for the root domain of the
forest:

Kind regards,
Alexander

A

Alexander Oleshev

Much appreciated. ADSIEdit is much easier to use than the procedure specified on-site.
The other question is, once I've changed these attributes in AD, can I run adprep straight away ? Does adprep require server restart ? Any performance impact ?

Regards,
Alexander
Hi,

I find it however just as easy to change this with adsiedit. Find the three objects in the schema container, get the displayname of the objects and change these exactly as the article says.

Leif

Kind regards,
Alexander

L

Leif Pedersen [MVP]

Hi,

Wait for AD replication to occur and then run adprep.

Leif

"Alexander Oleshev" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse Much appreciated. ADSIEdit is much easier to use than the procedure specified on-site.
The other question is, once I've changed these attributes in AD, can I run adprep straight away ? Does adprep require server restart ? Any performance impact ?

Regards,
Alexander
Hi,

Leif

Kind regards,
Alexander

Ask a Question