Updating McAfee

Me

Still no joy using the Superdat files to update version 8. I downloaded the
new combined engine and DAT, and still the same error message when I execute
it - i.e. unable to access registry. McAfee have previously explained that
the Superdats don't work with v8 because the directory structure has
changed.

I asked McAfee where I could find a zipped version of the new engine file so
that I could update manually, and their reply was that I don't need to do
this because I can let it update automatically. Another example of ignoring
the question and playing the Big Brother role. Seems pretty clear that they
are moving away from allowing manual updates.

And yet, even though I have v8 set to auto update, it still hasn't updated
to the new engine. And if I also use the inbuilt facility to check for
updates, it tells me I am up-to-date even though it shows I have engine 4260
still!!!

JP

David H. Lipman

Send me email and I'll tell you how to install the file manually.

Just remove ~nospam~

Dave

| Still no joy using the Superdat files to update version 8. I downloaded the
| new combined engine and DAT, and still the same error message when I execute
| it - i.e. unable to access registry. McAfee have previously explained that
| the Superdats don't work with v8 because the directory structure has
| changed.
|
| I asked McAfee where I could find a zipped version of the new engine file so
| that I could update manually, and their reply was that I don't need to do
| this because I can let it update automatically. Another example of ignoring
| the question and playing the Big Brother role. Seems pretty clear that they
| are moving away from allowing manual updates.
|
| And yet, even though I have v8 set to auto update, it still hasn't updated
| to the new engine. And if I also use the inbuilt facility to check for
| updates, it tells me I am up-to-date even though it shows I have engine 4260
| still!!!
|
| JP

David H. Lipman

It's proprietary information to those who own McAfee software.

Dave

| Why not tell everyone? Is it a secret?

Twinkletoes

In
David H. Lipman said:
It's proprietary information to those who own McAfee software.

Nothing personal here, but with regard to the information you're not giving
I think you're being trivial. In your previous response you stated you
would give that information if you were sent a private email, so this
statement simply doesn't add up.

What real reason is there for not giving this information freely? Does
having this information damage business in any way? If you're unable to
give the information, it would put my mind at rest if I could understand
your reasons.

Cheers,
Steve ;)

David H. Lipman

Licensing and proprietary information.

Dave

"Twinkletoes" <.> wrote in message | In | David H. Lipman <[email protected]> muttered:

| > It's proprietary information to those who own McAfee software.
|
| Nothing personal here, but with regard to the information you're not giving
| I think you're being trivial. In your previous response you stated you
| would give that information if you were sent a private email, so this
| statement simply doesn't add up.
|
| What real reason is there for not giving this information freely? Does
| having this information damage business in any way? If you're unable to
| give the information, it would put my mind at rest if I could understand
| your reasons.
|
| Cheers,
| Steve ;)

Twinkletoes

In
David H. Lipman said:
Licensing and proprietary information.

<quote>
Send me email and I'll tell you how to install the file manually.
</quote>

Where does that fit in with licensing and proprietary information?

Steve ;)

David H. Lipman

There is information that I gave John that is proprietary.

What is so hard to understand ?
I am NOT discussing viruses in general, I am providing a McAfee v8.0 user with SPECIFIC
information on McAfee software that is not for people who don't own McAfee because those who
don't own McAfee can follow the information and can benefit from it.

OK - Is that a good enough reason for you ? Because I'm not going any further on this
subject.

Dave

"Twinkletoes" <.> wrote in message | In | David H. Lipman <[email protected]> muttered:

| > Licensing and proprietary information.
|
| <quote>
| Send me email and I'll tell you how to install the file manually.
| </quote>
|
| Where does that fit in with licensing and proprietary information?
|
| Steve ;)

Michael Giegerich

Me:
Still no joy using the Superdat files to update version 8. I downloaded the
new combined engine and DAT, and still the same error message when I execute
it - i.e. unable to access registry. McAfee have previously explained that
the Superdats don't work with v8 because the directory structure has
changed.

Wouldn't it be possible to extract manually?
(the /e switch IIRC. But check with sdat4322 /?).
Once extracted it should be easy to move the
engine files into your v8 folder...

Also 4322 is the first sdat with the new engine.
Earlier sdats wouldn't be able to update to
4.3.20 engine.

Shane

Michael Giegerich said:
Me:

Wouldn't it be possible to extract manually?
(the /e switch IIRC. But check with sdat4322 /?).
Once extracted it should be easy to move the
engine files into your v8 folder...

Also 4322 is the first sdat with the new engine.
Earlier sdats wouldn't be able to update to
4.3.20 engine.

Yes, the /e switch.

Shane

Peacekeeper

The info re manual dat updates is posted on the mcafee forum

Really better to use automatic updates though many are having issues getting
updated thus mcafee posted this
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=21245

re engine update
Not sure but If you post on that forum someone might . I do feel that the
engine needs updating automatically Note UK versions are not ready for
engine update and are still at 8.0.22 version.
Tony

I. Care

There is information that I gave John that is proprietary.

What is so hard to understand ?
I am NOT discussing viruses in general, I am providing a McAfee v8.0 user with SPECIFIC
information on McAfee software that is not for people who don't own McAfee because those who
don't own McAfee can follow the information and can benefit from it.

OK - Is that a good enough reason for you ? Because I'm not going any further on this
subject.

Dave

"Twinkletoes" <.> wrote in message | In | David H. Lipman <[email protected]> muttered:

| > Licensing and proprietary information.
|
| <quote>
| Send me email and I'll tell you how to install the file manually.
| </quote>
|
| Where does that fit in with licensing and proprietary information?
|
| Steve ;)

And how do you know he is a paying authorized user, cause he says so?