McAfee VirusScan DAT updater

Eep²

I have a McAfee VirusScan DAT updater called MCUP (McAfee DAT Updater,
http://tnlc.com/eep/mcup.zip ) (readme at http://tnlc.com/eep/mcup.txt
) which I've been using since 2003, that stopped working after April
2, 2010 (when McAfee changed their antivirus DAT zip file name--avv-
dat####.tar now) and contents). It no longer works so I'm back to
manually downloading DAT files for the command-line version (I refuse
to have the bloatware GUI AntiVirus constantly running in the
background). Can anyone can create a program to download the latest
DAT file at http://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/ or
ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x/ (now only has a tar
file--no zip--but the SuperDAT exe can be manually extracted via "/e"
switch for its DATs) and verify it against the current DATs so they
are not mindlessly redownloaded? I have command-line wget and unzip
programs and use a batch file to rename and move the DATs. Even better
would be to use the incremental DAT updates in http://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/
(*.gem files) instead of having to download the obnoxiously large
~70MB (and growing with each update) compiled DAT file.

Thanks!

http://groups.google.com/group/alt....read/thread/51fe27c5ed9e2c00/6e41b091483b7220
to see the original thread and a more recent thread on McAfee's site
(no response so far) at http://community.mcafee.com/thread/24897

David H. Lipman

From: "Eep²" <[email protected]>

| I have a McAfee VirusScan DAT updater called MCUP (McAfee DAT Updater,
| http://tnlc.com/eep/mcup.zip ) (readme at http://tnlc.com/eep/mcup.txt
| ) which I've been using since 2003, that stopped working after April
| 2, 2010 (when McAfee changed their antivirus DAT zip file name--avv-
| dat####.tar now) and contents). It no longer works so I'm back to
| manually downloading DAT files for the command-line version (I refuse
| to have the bloatware GUI AntiVirus constantly running in the
| background). Can anyone can create a program to download the latest
| DAT file at http://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/ or
| ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x/ (now only has a tar
| file--no zip--but the SuperDAT exe can be manually extracted via "/e"
| switch for its DATs) and verify it against the current DATs so they
| are not mindlessly redownloaded? I have command-line wget and unzip
| programs and use a batch file to rename and move the DATs. Even better
| would be to use the incremental DAT updates in
| http://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/
| (*.gem files) instead of having to download the obnoxiously large
| ~70MB (and growing with each update) compiled DAT file.

| Thanks!

| http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.anti-virus/browse_thread/thread/
| 51fe27c5ed9e2c00/6e41b091483b7220
| to see the original thread and a more recent thread on McAfee's site
| (no response so far) at http://community.mcafee.com/thread/24897

Ditto. McAfee has changed their motus operandi. The SuperDAT no longer contains the
command line scanner and they no longer use UPDATE.INI and they are integrating the
scaners engines and signatures of companies they recently purcahsed.

This has caused a detriment to the McAfee Module of my Multi AV Scanning Tool.

gufus

Hello, David!

You wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 17:28:23 -0400:

DHL> This has caused a detriment to the McAfee Module of my Multi AV
DHL> Scanning Tool.

Those company's eh... always changing something.. pitches me a curve ball
too.

David H. Lipman

From: "gufus" <[email protected]>

| Hello, David!

| You wrote on Wed, 19 May 2010 17:28:23 -0400:

DHL>> This has caused a detriment to the McAfee Module of my Multi AV
DHL>> Scanning Tool.

| Those company's eh... always changing something.. pitches me a curve ball
| too.

Trend Micro too.

They cahnged the web page that shows the signature update version.

It is fixed in my Multi AV v7.x Beta but I can't fix the McAfee module.

Think of replacing it.

Eep²

From: "Eep²" <[email protected]>

| I have a McAfee VirusScan DAT updater called MCUP (McAfee DAT Updater,
|http://tnlc.com/eep/mcup.zip) (readme athttp://tnlc.com/eep/mcup.txt
| ) which I've been using since 2003, that stopped working after April
| 2, 2010 (when McAfee changed their antivirus DAT zip file name--avv-
| dat####.tar now) and contents). It no longer works so I'm back to
| manually downloading DAT files for the command-line version (I refuse
| to have the bloatware GUI AntiVirus constantly running in the
| background). Can anyone can create a program to download the latest
| DAT file athttp://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/or
|ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x/(now only has a tar
| file--no zip--but the SuperDAT exe can be manually extracted via "/e"
| switch for its DATs) and verify it against the current DATs so they
| are not mindlessly redownloaded? I have command-line wget and unzip
| programs and use a batch file to rename and move the DATs. Even better
| would be to use the incremental DAT updates in
|http://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/
| (*.gem files) instead of having to download the obnoxiously large
| ~70MB (and growing with each update) compiled DAT file.

| Thanks!

|http://groups.google.com/group/alt....read/thread/51fe27c5ed9e2c00/6e41b091483b7220
| to see the original thread and a more recent thread on McAfee's site
| (no response so far) at http://community.mcafee.com/thread/24897

Ditto.  McAfee has changed their motus operandi.  The SuperDAT no longer contains the
command line scanner and they no longer use UPDATE.INI and they are integrating the
scaners engines and signatures of companies they recently purcahsed.

This has caused a detriment to the McAfee Module of my Multi AV Scanning Tool.

You can get engine updates at ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/engine/4.x/

charles

I should have mentioned that I have put together a few of these batch av
updaters that I put in a specific folder and run as scheduled background
jobs using a cron-like entry that executes the following on a once-a-day
schedule. Using Windows XP.

===== Start batch clip (watch wrapping)
[01] @echo off
[02] echo Updated: %date% %time% >>"C:\My
Documents\Dev\bat\upd-qb\av_update.log"
[03] for /r "C:\My Documents\Dev\bat\upd-qb" %%x in (*.bat) do @start ""
/b /min c:\util\hidden.exe "%%x"
===== End batch clip

[...]

Here you go,

===== Start batch clip (watch wrapping)
[01] @echo off
[02] pushd .
[03] cd /d "D:\Download\AV\mcafee"
[04] if /i arg%1 == arg/nodl goto :NODL
[05] wget -N -q --connect-timeout=15 --read-timeout=20
"ftp://ftp.nai.com//pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x/sdat*.exe"
[06] :NODL
[07] dir /b /aa sdat*.exe >mcaf.lst 2>&1
[08] if errorlevel 1 goto :END
[09] for /f %%x in (mcaf.lst) do @if exist %%x start "" /wait %%x /e
%temp%\latest
[10] if exist %temp%\latest\. (xxcopy /v2 /da /zs /q3 /y
%temp%\latest\*.* C:\mcafee\) else (echo Some kind of error occurred.)
[11] rd /s /q %temp%\latest
[12] for /f %%d in ('dir /b /a-a sdat*.exe') do if exist "%%d" del "%%d"
[13]  attrib -a sdat*.exe
[14] del mcaf.lst
[15] rem C:\util\contig153.exe -q C:\mcafee\*.* >NUL
[16] :END
[17] popd
===== End batch clip

If I understand the batch file, it still has to download sdat*.exe
first before checking if it's different from the existing DAT file.
Any way for it to remember the current version and check the ftp
directory like MCUP does?

charles

[...]

Not quite.

The first time it runs it will download sdat*.exe to its local home
directory ("D:\Download\AV\mcafee"). That local file stays there (until
it is deleted in a future run). On subsequent runs it uses wget.exe's -N
switch to not download the same version/file again.

Then, by evaluating the archive bit of the existing sdat*.exe, it uses
the sdat*.exe filename version string (extracted to mcaf.lst) to process
the latest sdat version available by running it with the /e switch to a
temp directory. It then copies all the new data to the live mcafee
location and removes the temp contents and location.

It then removes any sdat*.exe local file that remain from a previous
download and finally, flips the archive bit of the latest local
sdat*.exe so that it can direct processing when it downloads a new
sdat*.exe next time.

I originally put it together after being unsatisfied with MCUP some time
ago and has worked well for me anyway.

[...]

OK, so it needs the bloatware 75MB+ sdat*.exe to remain instead of
being able to look up just the version/date instead in a much smaller
text file? :/

charles

[...]

Well yes. About 70MB of storage for the sdat*.exe file. I had originally
worked up a version/filename scheme but it got complicated if you missed
an update, etc. And even if you do go through the processing to sort it
out, you still have to download the update. I bit the bullet and spent
the money to expand my storage infrastructure. :)

Well anyway thanks for getting me to look at the program again after a
long while. I had forgotten that each run of sdat*.exe appends 5 lines
to its running log file. Add the following 2 lines at the indicated
positions to my original .bat to maintain a constant 10 run history.

===== Start batch clip (watch wrapping)
[14.1] tail.exe -n 50 SuperDAT.log >SuperDAT.tmp
[14.2] move /y SuperDAT.tmp SuperDAT.log
===== End batch clip

And here's a bonus .bat to see what version is installed on your
machine.

===== Start batch clip (watch wrapping)
[01] @echo off
[02] for /f "tokens=1-4" %%a in ('grep.exe "Network Associates"
"C:\mcafee\Sdatpack.lst"') do @printf.exe "McAfee SuperDAT Update %%c
%%d - \c"
[03] finfo.exe -d "DDDD, MMM-DD-YYYY" "C:\mcafee\Sdatpack.lst"
===== End batch clip

batfile components:

grep.exe, tail.exe and printf.exe - GNUWIN32 tools
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
xxcopy.exe - http://www.xxcopy.com/
finfo.exe - Bill Stewart's Shell Scripting Toolkit
http://www.westmesatech.com/sst.html
attrib.exe - standard MS Windows distribution
contig.exe - MS Windows Sysinternals utility
http://technet.microsoft.com/sysinternals/

[...]

Is it really that hard to just do a date/version comparison instead of
having to download the sdat*.exe just to check its date/version? MCUP
does it like that...

David H. Lipman

From: "Eep²" <[email protected]>

> [...]
===== Start batch clip (watch wrapping)
[01] @echo off
[02] for /f "tokens=1-4" %%a in ('grep.exe "Network Associates"
"C:\mcafee\Sdatpack.lst"') do @printf.exe "McAfee SuperDAT Update %%c
%%d - \c"
[03] finfo.exe -d "DDDD, MMM-DD-YYYY" "C:\mcafee\Sdatpack.lst"
===== End batch clip
batfile components:
grep.exe, tail.exe and printf.exe - GNUWIN32 toolshttp://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
xxcopy.exe -http://www.xxcopy.com/
finfo.exe - Bill Stewart's Shell Scripting Toolkithttp://www.westmesatech.com/sst.html
attrib.exe - standard MS Windows distribution
contig.exe - MS Windows Sysinternals utilityhttp://technet.microsoft.com/sysinternals/

| Is it really that hard to just do a date/version comparison instead of
| having to download the sdat*.exe just to check its date/version? MCUP

Personally, I would parse UPDATE.INI or a web page that states the current DAT revision.
Once the number is known you can easily apply that to a WGET HTTP or WGET FTP download.

charles

Is it really that hard to just do a date/version comparison instead of
having to download the sdat*.exe just to check its date/version? MCUP
does it like that...

I guess you didn't read my previous, above unsnipped, post carefully
enough. Try again.

Eep²

From: "Eep²" <[email protected]>

> [...]
%%d - \c"
[03] finfo.exe -d "DDDD, MMM-DD-YYYY" "C:\mcafee\Sdatpack.lst"
===== End batch clip
batfile components:
grep.exe, tail.exe and printf.exe - GNUWIN32 toolshttp://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/
xxcopy.exe -http://www.xxcopy.com/
finfo.exe - Bill Stewart's Shell Scripting Toolkithttp://www.westmesatech.com/sst.html
attrib.exe - standard MS Windows distribution
contig.exe - MS Windows Sysinternals utilityhttp://technet.microsoft.com/sysinternals/

| Is it really that hard to just do a date/version comparison instead of
| having to download the sdat*.exe just to check its date/version? MCUP
| does it like that...

Personally, I would parse UPDATE.INI or a web page that states the current DAT revision.
Once the number is known you can easily apply that to a WGET HTTP or WGETFTP download.

Yea, http://download.nai.com/products/commonupdater/Replica.log could
be used...