Updating a device in the field? (Trickle deployments?)

Some background on my solution:

I’m developing a warehouse application using hand held scanners.
My application is .Net compact framework 2.0 running on windows mobile 5.
Using the CAB. With communication to my server using GPRS.

My problem is this:

I can’t bring the devices back into head office to perform bug fixes and
upgrades to my application. The devices will need to speak to a service that
sends them updates while out in the field. My application already makes use
of web services for communication with the device.

My question is:

I need a rock solid approach to updating my application the device.
I’m assuming this is a common problem?
So is there a best practice or standard approach for solving this problem?

Many thank is advance!

Kind regards,
Andrew Stone.

Paul, I wouldn’t post blindly without searching first.

Details on this topic are sketchy at best on the web, there is a dated MS
whitepaper dealing with one approach, and the official MS book that I own
only devotes one page to “Trickle†deployments.

I was hoping that by posting to this group I might get some practical advice
as to what I only assume is a common problem?

Cheers,
Andrew.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Thanks for you time Paul,

It seems that the teeth on my comb were not fine enough!

Thanks for this link:
http://blogs.msdn.com/onoj/archive/2004/12/04/275074.aspx

It’s the elusive one I have been seeking!

I will progress with my implementation, and post any finding that could be
of use to others. In particular how I will integrate my updater with the CAB.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Andrew.

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

You're welcome.

Paul T.

Stonie said:
Thanks for you time Paul,

It seems that the teeth on my comb were not fine enough!

Thanks for this link:
http://blogs.msdn.com/onoj/archive/2004/12/04/275074.aspx

It's the elusive one I have been seeking!

I will progress with my implementation, and post any finding that could be
of use to others. In particular how I will integrate my updater with the
CAB.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Andrew.

Alex Yakhnin

I've actually implemented the Alex's approach from his article on MSDN in a
mission critical real-time trading system. Worked good.

--
Alex Yakhnin, Device Application Developer MVP
http://blog.opennetcf.org/ayakhnin

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT