Windows XP updates

Reaction score
My microsoft updates are not updating although they are set to automatic, the icon appears but does not go above zezo percent before disappearing, i am running AVG and Zone Alarm, i can download the updates from the microsoft web site, it just appears that the automatic side is not working, any ideas ???

Reaction score
Open up Task Manager - 'CTRL+Shift+ESC' OR 'CTRL+ALT+DEL>Task Manager'
Hit the 'Processes' Tab.

Do you have 'WUAUCLT.EXE' running?

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, in answaer to all your questions, firstly, once windows has loaded the update shield appears, shows the download as 0% then it disappears, secondly, the zone alarm firewall settings are set to high on the internet zone and medium on the trusted zone, i have not altered these settings and it has worked perfectly well for the past 6 months, and thirdly, yes 'WUAUCLT.EXE' is running. I don`t know if this has anything to do with it but i downloaded the new version of AVG recently.

Reaction score
once windows has loaded the update shield appears, shows the download as 0% then it disappears,
This is mormal if any updates are required it will download as necessary;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just to add my five pennyworth - this has been happening to me for months :rolleyes: even when updates are required. The little shield keeps behaving just as Loafer's does, and goes on for days at a time. Eventually, just as I'm closing down for the night, I receive the message that the updates are being installed - so I presume they have been going on in the background. My own solution to the "problem" is that now, whenever the sheld pops up to tell me that updates are ready, I go to the Microsoft Update website, it scans the PC and lists the critical ones (which are always the same as the ones listed when I click the little shield, of course) and I click to update them from the website. That way I can actually see the progress - yes I know, it's sad and I should get out more ;) but at least it gets the job done. By the way, I'm on dial-up, which as we all know is very slooooow, so wondering if Loafer is too, and whether that's the reason...? Anyway Loafer, just letting you know that you're not alone :)

Reaction score
Nice to hear that Taffycat, and for your information, no i`m no on dial up,i`m on BT broadband.Unlike yourself though when i click on the shield i do not get any information about the updates available, but, as i did last night i too went to the microsoft web site and there were urgent updates ready for download, its no big deal to do this, its more that i want to know why the auto update will not work.................ps get youself broaband, you`ll love it

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sorry I cannot help with your main query Loafer, however, if you'd like the option of seeing what the recommended updates are when you click on that little shield, you could alter your Update settings slightly. Assuming that you are running XP, click on Start > Control Panel > Security Centre then, where it says "Manage Security Settings For:" click on "Automatic Updates." If you un-check "Automatic (recommended) and put a check in "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them" then click "OK" you will receive warnings when critical updates are available, but this time, when you click your little shield, a box will appear, telling you exactly what those downloads are, their size, etc. :thumb:

You're right about broadband Loafer :thumb: we'll get around to getting it soon, I hope :D

Reaction score
Yup, thats the setting i`ve always had it on as you like to know what you are downloading, the auto update has only recently stopped working,and as i said, the only thing i can remember updating is the new AVG free edition. As for your broadband, i`m sure santa passes over Wales on his way up to Cumbria, just drop him a letter.....or is it an e-mail nowadays, i`m sure he will oblige !!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hmmm, a puzzle my dear Holmes :nod: just for comparison, I too have recently downloaded the new AVG free, and so far (touch wood) it hasn't had any affect on the update situation here. Hopefully, one of the experts here will have a more helpful suggestion to make.

Good idea about penning a letter to Santa he does indeed take a detour over Wales.... although the reindeer aren't too happy about having to gain height for the mountains and make an awful clatter when they land on the roof :D

Reaction score
AVG should not interfere with Windows update, set the Windows updates as > download but let me choose when to install, now after downloading has finished click the shield and select Custom install then you will see what’s what.;)
When you shut the PC down it is normal for updates to install, it has something to do with authenticity:rolleyes: on most occasions.

Reaction score
Once again, thanks for your answer, i do have the windows update set to what you suggest but the updates do not download at all, as i said before, the shield appears for about one minute, shows the download percentage as 0% then it disappears downloading nothing at all but when i go to the microsoft site there are updates ready to be downloaded.

Reaction score
loafer said:
Once again, thanks for your answer, i do have the windows update set to what you suggest but the updates do not download at all, as i said before, the shield appears for about one minute, shows the download percentage as 0% then it disappears downloading nothing at all but when i go to the microsoft site there are updates ready to be downloaded.

Do you mean with regards on the update site, that the downloads are high priority or are they optional?

Reaction score
loafer said:
They are optional

This is mormal if any updates are required it will download as necessary

Ah ah! So I was correct then? auto update only download high priority.
that is why you are of the impression it is not working properly when in fact it is, you have the Option to download updates for hard ware and or soft ware.;)

Ask a Question