[Update] TrackerV3 (Advanced File System Explorer) v4.00.0129

ArjanDotOrg

TrackerV3 (Advanced File System Explorer) v4.00.0129

Overview :

TrackerV3 is an Advanced File System Explorer targeting everybody who
is looking for a real alternative to the Windows Explorer ... ...
another Explorer Replacement, alright, but before you get too sleepy,
check out these power features: Instant display of complete
file/version information for each selected file. Instant preview of
image (incl. PNG, JPEG, GIF, TIFF and many more), audio, and video
files (displaying detailed media information). Instant preview of
installed and uninstalled TrueType and Type-1 font files (displaying
detailed font information). [new in 3.40] Instant preview of HTML, MHT,
PHP files (including configurable server mappings) with printing
option. [new in 3.50] File Info Tips and MP3 Info Tips: extensive file
information (depending on file type and individual file up to 35
fields!) pops up when you move the mouse over a file's icon. [new in
3.50] Special MP3 service: instant ID3v1.1-tag view and edit, plus
automatic filename to ID3v1.1-tag routine. [new in 3.30] Instant file
view (ASCII and HEX) for all files, including text extraction from
binaries (BTW: the fastest on the market). Generates various sorts of
file system reports (to clipboard, file, and printer -- we're talking
about one-click directory print-outs here). Export extended file
informations of whole directories (or even directory trees) to
CSV-formatted files. [new in 3.21] Created Date, Last Accessed Date and
Attributes are shown right in the file list. Extended file find
supporting NT-only features, and including binary string search.
Multiple location search (find files in all selected directories).
Column Width Auto-Adjustment. Highly customizable display formats for
file size and date information. For each file and folder, the (real!)
disk space used is immediately displayed. Remembers last folder
location and sort order. Browser-like history functionality. Can define
favorite folders. A large suite of useful commands added to the
standard file context menu, including Copy To, Move To, Copy Filename
with Path, Copy File Properties, Copy Large/Small Icon, Multi-file
Rename. Icon-extraction, multi-file time-stamping and
attribute-stamping. Full support for drag'n'drop and wheel mouse. Made
to handle heavy-duty jobs. Easy to install, and easy to remove.
Installing and running the program does not change your system or
registry. Easy to use, start working in no time (interface closely
follows Explorer standards). Small, fast, and RAM-friendly. Quick 24/7
support.

What's New:

+ Image preview: Bitmap formats (BMP/RLE/DIB) info now shows the
correct compression type. Also added some tolerance against mal- or
unusually formed bitmaps.
+ Configuration/General: added checkbox "Show hidden drives", which
allows you to show drives that Explorer and other file managers do not
show because they are marked as hidden.

Homepage: http://www.trackerv3.com/

For related software, check out:
http://www.arjan.org/?System:Files/Folders

Kind regards,

_____
Arjan

E-mail: (e-mail address removed) (remove NOSPAM)
Homepage: Arjan.org's Absolute Freeware Links (http://www.arjan.org)

John Fitzsimons

TrackerV3 (Advanced File System Explorer) v4.00.0129

Export extended file
informations of whole directories (or even directory trees) to
CSV-formatted files.

< snip >

IIRC the reasons I don't use this program are because I want a quick/
easy two pane explorer view and I want to keep all my Explorer shell
extensions usable.

IF however I could export file information from a directory of zipped
files then it would be a HUGE help to me. I would even re-visit this
program.

File information such as TrackerV3 v4.00 ....NOT just the names in a
zip. Also, only the file info for executables in a zip.

By the way TrackerV3 v4.00 is an odd name. Is it version 3 or version
4 ? Shouldn't it be called Tracker v4.00 ?

Regards, John.

Donald Lessau

John Fitzsimons said:
By the way TrackerV3 v4.00 is an odd name. Is it version 3 or version
4 ? Shouldn't it be called Tracker v4.00 ?
Sure, but the domain is www.trackerv3.com since more than 5 years (that's
when I made the stupid move to fuse title and version number into a brand
name) so I'm stuck TrackerV3. But I won't sue anybody who calls it Tracker
v4.00 ;)

Don

Donald Lessau

John Fitzsimons said:
IF however I could export file information from a directory of zipped
files then it would be a HUGE help to me. I would even re-visit this
program.

Ever heard of ZipMagic? I never tried it (and it's not freeware) but it
claims: "ZipFolders Technology! ZipMagic Deluxe 9.0 includes ZipFolders®,
exclusive patented technology that allows users' computers to open zip
archives as if they were regular Windows folders." (cf stuffit.com)

So, the combination of this and Tracker could work for you.

Maybe there's some freeware out there which can do "ZipFolders" as well?

Don

John Fitzsimons

Ever heard of ZipMagic? I never tried it (and it's not freeware) but it
claims: "ZipFolders Technology! ZipMagic Deluxe 9.0 includes ZipFolders®,
exclusive patented technology that allows users' computers to open zip
archives as if they were regular Windows folders." (cf stuffit.com)
So, the combination of this and Tracker could work for you.

Thanks, but I said ;

"IF however I could export file information from a directory of zipped
files then it would be a HUGE help to me. I would even re-visit this
program.

File information such as TrackerV3 v4.00 ....NOT just the names in a
zip. Also, only the file info for executables in a zip."

I don't see how ZipMagic will give me file information such as the
version number of a file. I would think it would only give me
filenames. Any unzip program will do that.

Regards, John.

John Fitzsimons

Sure, but the domain is www.trackerv3.com since more than 5 years (that's
when I made the stupid move to fuse title and version number into a brand
name) so I'm stuck TrackerV3. But I won't sue anybody who calls it Tracker
v4.00 ;)

Sounds like you need to register the domain www.tracker.com and have
www.trackerv3.com redirect to it. Or if you cannot get that domain
then try www.dltracker.com

In any case there is nothing stopping you just re-naming your program
to Tracker v4.00. :)

Regards, John.

Donald Lessau

John Fitzsimons said:
"IF however I could export file information from a directory of zipped
files then it would be a HUGE help to me. I would even re-visit this
program.

File information such as TrackerV3 v4.00 ....NOT just the names in a
zip. Also, only the file info for executables in a zip."

I don't see how ZipMagic will give me file information such as the
version number of a file. I would think it would only give me
filenames. Any unzip program will do that.

Ok, I think this can only be done if you physically extract the files from
the archives to some temporary location and then examine them. Too special
for TrackerV3 but rather a task for a ZIP-app.

Don

Donald Lessau

John Fitzsimons said:
Sounds like you need to register the domain www.tracker.com and have
www.trackerv3.com redirect to it. Or if you cannot get that domain
then try www.dltracker.com

In any case there is nothing stopping you just re-naming your program
to Tracker v4.00. :)

Of course www.tracker.com is gone since the early days of the web: this was
actually one reason why I called the app TrackerV3! The other reason: there
are already several hundred apps called "Tracker".
But there's also another thing that's stopping me from just re-naming the
program: TrackerV3 is a brand name since many years; would be stupid and
confusing to give it up.
And also: who says that "V3" means "version 3"?? I'm open to suggestions...
:)

Don

burnr

Of course www.tracker.com is gone since the early days of the web:
this was actually one reason why I called the app TrackerV3! The other
reason: there are already several hundred apps called "Tracker".
But there's also another thing that's stopping me from just re-naming
the program: TrackerV3 is a brand name since many years; would be
stupid and confusing to give it up.
And also: who says that "V3" means "version 3"?? I'm open to
suggestions...
:)

Don

IMO there's nothing wrong with the name TrackerV3. It's your work and you
have the right to name it whatever you want. I like this tool and use it
regularly. I've had it listed at FW4U for quite some time now. I
recommend it to family and friends. :) Thank you for your generous
offering. :)

Sietse Fliege

Donald said:
Ok, I think this can only be done if you physically extract the files from
the archives to some temporary location and then examine them. Too special
for TrackerV3 but rather a task for a ZIP-app.

Don

I know that John does not run Windows XP, so of not much use to him, anyway:
XP has this 'feature' of treating zip files as folders.
On my system this feature is disabled as I have zip files not associated
with Windows' compressed folders application but with an external zip file
handler.
Nevertheless the feature still comes into play when I use Windows Find.
When I do a Windows search for e.g. exe files in a folder, the results
window will also list (at the bottom) the exe files found in zip files in
that folder.
And Windows XP also lets you specify e.g. the file version to be displayed
in the details view of the Find results window.
Unlike TrackerV3, Windows Find does not let me export the results to e.g. a
CSV file, however Nir Sofer's SysExporter lets me do that.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/sysexp.html

Donald Lessau

Sietse Fliege said:
I know that John does not run Windows XP, so of not much use to him, anyway:
XP has this 'feature' of treating zip files as folders.
On my system this feature is disabled as I have zip files not associated
with Windows' compressed folders application but with an external zip file
handler.
Nevertheless the feature still comes into play when I use Windows Find.
When I do a Windows search for e.g. exe files in a folder, the results
window will also list (at the bottom) the exe files found in zip files in
that folder.
And Windows XP also lets you specify e.g. the file version to be displayed
in the details view of the Find results window.

Display the file version also from *packed* files?? I don't think so...
(cannot check myself because my XP just lost its zip folder magic, I think
because I played around to much with "regsvr32 zipfldr.dll"... ;))
Unlike TrackerV3, Windows Find does not let me export the results to e.g. a
CSV file, however Nir Sofer's SysExporter lets me do that.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/sysexp.html

That's fine. BTW, it cannot export TrackerV3's list: TV3 is safe against
these kinds of (friendly) attacks.

Susan Bugher

Donald said:
Of course www.tracker.com is gone since the early days of the web: this was
actually one reason why I called the app TrackerV3! The other reason: there
are already several hundred apps called "Tracker".
But there's also another thing that's stopping me from just re-naming the
program: TrackerV3 is a brand name since many years; would be stupid and
confusing to give it up.
And also: who says that "V3" means "version 3"?? I'm open to suggestions...
:)

I imagine "V3" denotes the number of cylinders in the Tracker engine. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Donald Lessau

Mel said:
TrackerV3 = Tracker View Three or Tracker Viewer Three

okay, View, Vision, Volume, Value, Velocity, Variety, Vertigo, Vanity,
Vanilla, Vector, Victory, Vortex... but "Three"?, three what? ... "3"
could be short for "3D", ie for "space", so "Tracker Virtual Space",
well, doesn't make much sense to me... ;)

Donald Lessau

Susan Bugher said:
I imagine "V3" denotes the number of cylinders in the Tracker engine.
;)

That's nice, but... 3 is not a very high (good) number for cylinders, pretty
much on the low end in fact. TrackerV8 or TrackerV12, that sounds cool :)

Don

Mel

okay, View, Vision, Volume, Value, Velocity, Variety, Vertigo, Vanity,
Vanilla, Vector, Victory, Vortex... but "Three"?, three what? ... "3"
could be short for "3D", ie for "space", so "Tracker Virtual Space",
well, doesn't make much sense to me... ;)
Tracker Viewer Three (Generates 3 file system reports (to clipboard,
file, or printer))

Susan Bugher

Donald said:
;)

That's nice, but... 3 is not a very high (good) number for cylinders, pretty
much on the low end in fact. TrackerV8 or TrackerV12, that sounds cool :)

Bigger is not always better - the V3 engine is "fuel efficient" (no bloat, uses fewer resources etc.
etc.) :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Donald Lessau

Susan Bugher said:
:)

Bigger is not always better - the V3 engine is "fuel efficient" (no bloat, uses fewer resources etc.
etc.) :)

I agree, very good! So now it's (still) pronounced "tracker-vee-three", but
the V doesn't mean "version" but simply "V".

case closed, thanks,
Don

Donald Lessau

Mel said:
Tracker Viewer Three (Generates 3 file system reports (to clipboard,
file, or printer))

Yes, but that's just one tiny little feature. I rather walk Susan's
(motor-)way.

tnxanyway
don