Update Error 0x80244019

This might be repetative, but I thought I'd put my specific error # out
there. Windows Defender cannot update.

Anyone who has this or knows how to fix it on a AMD Athlon 64 CPU running
windows xp home let me know.

Thanks!

I just installed the new windows defender and was getting error cannot
install updates got a little balloon telling me "Windows Defender was unable
to complete the update: 0x8024402c

I found the fix for this is very simple just use your windows update in your
start menu or http://update.microsoft.com then download defender update + its
fixed.
glen

Oren Shmuely [MSFT]

Error 0x8024402C can result from numerous reasons:
1.. Machine is not connected to the internet.
2.. The 0x8024402C error code typically occurs because an incorrect
character exists in the proxy override settings.
3.. A misconfigured Proxy/Firewall can cause this problem.
4.. You are trying to access Windows Update using VPN. The website and
Automatic Update may not function properly.
5.. The corporate environment does not have autoproxy implemented.
6.. Your workstations sit behind a Microsoft ISA server.
which on of the above feats your senario the most?

Oren Shmuely [MSFT]

Windows Defender Team

Joined
Dec 20, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Wierd Vista Problems

I had to recently use my HP recovery program to recover my Vista (32bit) PC from a loop caused by a registry cleaner program. I now find that I cannot use the Windows Update program and cannot even manually navigate to the http:/update.microsoft.com page (I get to www.msn.com if I try). When I try to use the Windows Defender update link, I get the same error code at the top of this thread - 0x80244019. I have tried to repeat the recovery twice and am still getting the same results. I tried the link in the quote below and got to a page titled "Deploying Windows XP Service Pack 2 using Software Update Services" which provides a way for corporate administrators to use SUS to update an enterprise group of XP workstations.

I am also finding that an AutoPlay window pops up every time I wake up my PC asking me to choose set a default for my HP Personal Media drive. Regardless of how many times I set the default, this window keeps appearing.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Oren Shmuely [MSFT] said:
Try

for possible resolution.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/support/updateauthen.mspx