Unreadable hard drive - Help!

J

Jimmy

We had a power outage last night and now I can not access my second drive. I am running WinXP Pro
with all drives formatted in NTFS. I had write caching activated which seems to have contributed to
the problem. The main drive works fine, but the second drive is inaccessible. The second drive is
partitioned and formatted into 2 partitions and both XP and Partition Magic report the partitions as
being okay. However, when I try to access the partitions, I get an error message that the drive is
not accessible, "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". I tried to run chkdsk, but it
wouldn't work. I tried a fix on the MBR per a friends suggestion, but there wasn't a backup MBR. I
started to reformat, but remembered I have some digital pictures that had not yet been backed up.
Any suggestions on how to go about recovering the files or getting the file system back up and
operating?

Thanks,

Jimmy

A

anon

Would you like some help?

Perhaps posting a real e address with a spam block would be a great
idea!!!!!

posted by anon no where nevermind somewhere

Jimmy said:
We had a power outage last night and now I can not access my second drive. I am running WinXP Pro
with all drives formatted in NTFS. I had write caching activated which seems to have contributed to
the problem. The main drive works fine, but the second drive is
inaccessible. The second drive is

J

Jimmy

Sorry, but I do not post my e-mail address even with spam block on an initial post. If someone were
to suggest a fix and request a posting of my e-mail address for more more extensive replies I would
certainly do so. Do you have any tangible suggestions for resolving my hard drive problem?

F

Folkert Rienstra

anon said:
Would you like some help?

Perhaps posting a real e address with a spam block would be a great
idea!!!!!

posted by anon no where nevermind somewhere

Who can't even setup his own newsreader properly.

J

Jimmy

Thanks to all that responded. I have retrieved most the lost files and have reformatted the drive's
partitions.

Reaction score
Hdd

I had a power outage last night and now I can not access my second drive. I am running WinXP Pro SP2
with all drives formatted in NTFS. The local drive works fine, but the second drive is inaccessible. When I try to access the external hard drive, I get an error message that the drive is
not accessible, "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". I have a lot data that i really need, so I can't format it cose I'll lose evrything. If anybody can help pls send me an e-mail at (e-mail address removed)

thanx

attnos

Reaction score
Unreadable slave drive.

Hi, I came across this site whilst searching for solutions to the very problem that you had, and which I also have! I'd be very grateful if you could you forward me the solution to the unreadable drive.

Much appreciated.

Regards

Paul

email: (e-mail address removed)

Jimmy said:
the problem. The main drive works fine, but the second drive is inaccessible. The second drive is
partitioned and formatted into 2 partitions and both XP and Partition Magic report the partitions as
being okay. However, when I try to access the partitions, I get an error message that the drive is
not accessible, "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". I tried to run chkdsk, but it
wouldn't work. I tried a fix on the MBR per a friends suggestion, but there wasn't a backup MBR. I
started to reformat, but remembered I have some digital pictures that had not yet been backed up.
Any suggestions on how to go about recovering the files or getting the file system back up and
operating?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Ask a Question