Unknown error message in Windows Mail

Marilyne

I am getting this message trying to send out messages,

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'That was fun', Account:
'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465,
Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B

Gary VanderMolen \(MS MVP\)

Your mail account settings are correct.
"Unknown error" is usually caused by interference from an
antivirus program. Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

If no improvement after disabling email scanning, consider upgrading
to Windows Live Mail, because it is less prone to suffering bad effects
from overly intrusive antivirus programs:
http://download.live.com/wlmail

Martin Beaulieu

Marilyne said:
I am getting this message trying to send out messages,

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'That was fun', Account:
'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465,
Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B

Marilyne

I use Webroot and having been trying to find where to adjust the anitviruse
program. I have not found the spot yet.

Marilyne

Added note on Webroot it is setup to just scan email attachments only I
think. Also, I checked my sent folder and the last message sent successfully
was Monday th 16th.

uky

I'm having the same issue as Marilyne even though it is over a year later. I
want to disable the mail scan on the email antivirus program but I don't know
how to do this. I'm using Avira. Please help.
Sep 7/10

Gary VanderMolen

Since I don't have Avira, I can't tell you the exact steps you need to
take in order to disable its email scanning. Try this:
Uninstall Avira, reboot, then try your Windows Mail again. If the
problem is fixed, download and install a free antivirus that is 100%
compatible:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)