Unique Word Footers

Reaction score
Hello All

Does anyone know an easy way to create custom footers on a page within a word document.

I have a number of large word files, each 300 – 500 pages long.

Each page requires a footer stating the

- The section of the document

- The page number within the section

- The issue number of the page.

Each time a change is made to a page within the document the issue number for the page is updated. When the document is released the users can print the pages with the latest issue number to save printing the entire document.

Due to this each page can potentially have a unique footer. As far as I am aware the standard Word footers do not allow you to handle completely different headers and footers on each page.

The current solution is to have a normal word table at the bottom of each page that represents the footer. This allows the unique footers but add a large overhead in reformatting the documents to ensure that each page has the footer in the correct place (adding text frequently pushes the tables onto the next page) and that the details are correct (each footer has to be manually updated).

A number of solutions have been considered.

- Use section breaks before and after the footers so they can be unique – This would work but its more effort adding all the section breaks in and when you do it causes word to corrupt the document.

- Use a different version of word – its been suggested that the latest version of word might help but unfortunately only Word 2000 is available

- Use a different word processing package – again would be nice but can only use Word 2000

- Some sort of Macro to create the footers – This could work as macros are used to find and print the latest issues pages and to create an Index based on the footer issues but I’ve been unable to identify which pages have changed since the last save and footers need to be added before the page is populated or the whole document would need to be repeatedly reformatted.

- Not printing the document thus removing the need for issued pages – I’d love to go for this option but people just don’t like change.

So the question is “Is there anyway of creating unique footers on every page of a word document?”

Thanks for any help

Ask a Question