Unique 'page cannot be displayed' problem

budman

I have what I consider a somewhat unique 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' problem. I
cannot find reference to it anywhere and wonder if someone here can help.

Some web pages display perfectly normal, while others have areas that contain
"Page Cannot be Displayed' within them. It's difficult to explain, but I have a
screen shot that clearly shows 3 areas as mentioned. I'd like to send/attach
this .BMP somewhere or to someone who thinks they might have an answer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom Willett

It's because of some of the anti-spyware features you have installed and
configured on your computer. It prevents third-party ads, etc., from
appearing on the page.

Tom

C A Upsdell

I have what I consider a somewhat unique 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' problem. I
cannot find reference to it anywhere and wonder if someone here can help.

Some web pages display perfectly normal, while others have areas that contain
"Page Cannot be Displayed' within them. It's difficult to explain, but I have a
screen shot that clearly shows 3 areas as mentioned. I'd like to send/attach
this .BMP somewhere or to someone who thinks they might have an answer.

Any suggestions?

When you have several such messages, I suspect that the page uses
frames, so the appearance of multiple messages is not in itself
suspicious: what you have to focus on is WHY you cannot load pages from
the site.

budman

I turned off my PC-cillin Internet Security 2006 "Real-time spyware scan" and
it's still sporadic. I can have the 'cannot be displayed' then simply refresh
IE6 and sometimes they are gone, perhaps leaving one etc.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

Ok........I'll go along with that. Now where do I go from here?

Check for a file named HOSTS with no extension (not Hosts.sam). It may be a
hidden file. Open it with Notepad and remove any line referencing the site.
Or, rename HOSTS to OLDHOSTS

budman

I use a program called "HostsMan" from http://hostsman.abelhadigital.com/
I update the file from the MVPS hosts http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

I have 'Disabled' the file for the time being. Bingo! No more "Page cannot be
Displayed". Enable it again and I have the problem. I searched for "weather"
and found many references. However, www.theweathernetwork.com is not in the
file.

I added www.theweathernetwork.com to the exclusion list but it apparently
prevents specified hostsnames from being added to the list. The problem
continues as long as HostsMan is 'Enabled'. I'll have to work on this. We are
certainly on the right track.

Thanks very much

Don Varnau

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE" wrote in message
I use a program called "HostsMan" from http://hostsman.abelhadigital.com/
I update the file from the MVPS hosts http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

I have 'Disabled' the file for the time being. Bingo! No more "Page cannot be
Displayed". Enable it again and I have the problem. I searched for "weather"
and found many references. However, www.theweathernetwork.com is not in the
file.

I added www.theweathernetwork.com to the exclusion list but it apparently
prevents specified hostsnames from being added to the list. The problem
continues as long as HostsMan is 'Enabled'. I'll have to work on this. We are
certainly on the right track.

Thanks very much

Hi,
When visiting one of the affected pages, click on View> Privacy report to
see which other servers are providing content for that page. Some of those
adservers will be in the HOSTS file.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

budman

[...]

Thanks for that Don. I had no idea that little 'feature' was there. Now then,
another problem became 'related' when I had left HostsMan disabled. I clicked
on my home page www.lfpress.com and it loaded much faster than usual. There
were also banner ads etc. visable that I never knew existed. I then enabled
HostsMan and tried loading the above page. It takes 22 seconds to load with HM
enabled, but only 7 seconds with it disabled. The difference seems like an
eternity. My DNS client service is 'stopped' as per instructions. However, I
quote from the MVPS website:

"In many cases using a well designed HOSTS file can speed the loading of web
pages by not having to wait for these ads, annoying banners, hit counters, etc.
to load."

In fact, www.lfpress.com is part of the vast www.canoe.ca network that is
related to many interests of mine. Another is http://www.theglobeandmail.com/
that loads very slowly with HostsMan enabled.

I just tried a little experiment. I went to a favourite news site
http://www.bourque.org/ and clicked on every link with & without HostsMan
enabled. Virtually every site took much longer to load when enabled.

I can tell you that I run WinXP with IE6 SP2 and as mentioned, the DNS client
service is stopped. It's actually a pleasure to snap through various sites
without the hosts file active just for the simple reason the pages load much
faster. If this can be resolved I'd become a very happy camper.

Thanks

[...]

I don't know what the solution is if you've stopped the DNS Client service.
You might try either IE-SpyAd or SpywareBlaster instead of the HOSTS file.
They don't block ads, but protect against known malware through several
other methods.

See: http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.php#condom

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

budman

[...]

Thanks Don. I just gave my head a shake and 'remembered' that I have Ad-Watch
(not activated) that is included in Ad-Aware SE. I will activate that and see
how things go. I used to have it running and Ad-Aware NEVER found any spyware.
I don't know why I ever shut it off.