unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?

On Windows XP, HP desktop, couple years old, every 10-20 days my mouse cursor
might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer driver?
Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications at
end of day. Thanks, Bob

Gerry

Bob

Even though you close programmes is the computer left on 24/7?

Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

How large is your hard disk and how much free space. Right click on
your C drive in Windows and select Properties to get this information.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, Gerry,

Yes PC on 24/7 because bootup is a little slow for my tastes.
Commit Charge:
Total 549280
Limit 1259632
Peak 557708

Hard Drive total 68.4 GB
Free space 36.7 GB

Thanks for your reply! -Bob

Bill Sharpe

Bob said:
On Windows XP, HP desktop, couple years old, every 10-20 days my mouse cursor
might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer driver?
Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications at
end of day. Thanks, Bob
Do you use hibernation overnight? This may affect mouse operation, but
it's doubtful if you hibernate nightly and the problem occurs only every
couple of weeks.

Are mouse drivers up to date?

Which aggravation bothers you more -- the occasional mouse hiccup or
booting up your system daily, perhaps weekly?

Bill

Gerry

Bob

How much RAM memory? Your system may be over-reliant on use of the
pagefile and leaving the computer on 24/7 would not help.

Does pagefile usage rise and fall at an acceptable level or steadily
rise?

You may find it helpful to know exactly how much of your pagefile is
being used. Use page file monitor to observe what is the peak usage.
Start it to run immediately after start-up and look at the log at the
end of the session.The log is Pagefile log.txt. If you right click on
the file in Windows Explorer and select Send to, Desktop (Create
Shortcut). The same applies to XP_PageFileMon.exe.

A small utility to monitor pagefile usage:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm

Note programs using undo features particularly those associated with
graphics and photo editing require large amounts of memory so if you
use this type of programme check these first observing how the page
usage increases when they start and whether the usage decreases when
you close the programme.

What programmes are typically running at any one time?

Let's examine why you complain of a slow boot. Please restart your
computer and post copies of all Error and Warning Reports appearing in
the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for the last boot. No
Information Reports or Duplicates please. Indicate which also appear in
a previous boot.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning
of the error, information regarding Event ID, Source and Description
are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

Part of the Description of the error will include a link, which you
should double click for further information. You can copy using copy
and paste. Often the link will, however, say there is no further
information.
http://go.microsoft.com/fw.link/events.asp
(Please note the hyperlink above is for illustration purposes only)

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event
Viewer.Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of
the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from
Event Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeff Barnett

Bob said:
On Windows XP, HP desktop, couple years old, every 10-20 days my mouse cursor
might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer driver?
Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications at
end of day. Thanks, Bob
If you have a USB mouse, unplug the USB cable, count to five, then
replug it in. Sometimes USB mice don't get properly enumerated when a
computer comes out of its sleep mode (S1, S3, or hibernate). I believe
that this is a fairly common problem.

-- Jeff Barnett

sandy58

On Windows XP, HP desktop, couple years old, every 10-20 days my mouse cursor
might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer driver?
Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications at
end of day. Thanks, Bob

Try another mouse.

Thomas Samson

While I was on broadband, to my astonishment, my BIOS setup apeeared on screen and stayed frozen. I had to press button to switch off computer and then restart. After the usual start-up procedure the desktop icons came into place but the mouse remained frozen. I tried to access BIOS setup page by pressing F2 when prompted but there was no response. My mouse remains frozen and BIOS set-up inaccessible. My operating system is Windows WP Home Edition, two Gb memory, 250Gb hard drive. Please help. Thanks.

Bo wrote:

unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?
11-Aug-07

Bob wrote:

Hi, Gerry, Yes PC on 24/7 because bootup is a little slow for my tastes.
Hi, Gerry,

Yes PC on 24/7 because bootup is a little slow for my tastes.
Commit Charge:
Total 549280
Limit 1259632
Peak 557708

Hard Drive total 68.4 GB
Free space 36.7 GB

Thanks for your reply! -Bob

:

Re: unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?
Bob wrote:
Do you use hibernation overnight? This may affect mouse operation, but
it's doubtful if you hibernate nightly and the problem occurs only every
couple of weeks.

Are mouse drivers up to date?

Which aggravation bothers you more -- the occasional mouse hiccup or
booting up your system daily, perhaps weekly?

Bill

BobHow much RAM memory?

Bob wrote:
If you have a USB mouse, unplug the USB cable, count to five, then
replug it in. Sometimes USB mice don't get properly enumerated when a
computer comes out of its sleep mode (S1, S3, or hibernate). I believe
that this is a fairly common problem.

-- Jeff Barnett

Re: unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?
Try another mouse.

Asynchronous WebRequest: The Basics
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...ddf-86b16f9a00dd/asynchronous-webrequest.aspx

Tom Willett

Wow, you replied to/hijacked an old post from 2007 after changing the
subject line.

Eggheader alert!
<Thomas Samson> wrote in message : While I was on broadband, to my astonishment, my BIOS setup apeeared on
screen and stayed frozen. I had to press button to switch off computer and
then restart. After the usual start-up procedure the desktop icons came into
place but the mouse remained frozen. I tried to access BIOS setup page by
pressing F2 when prompted but there was no response. My mouse remains frozen
and BIOS set-up inaccessible. My operating system is Windows WP Home
Edition, two Gb memory, 250Gb hard drive. Please help. Thanks.
:
:
:
: Bo wrote:
:
: unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?
: 11-Aug-07
:
: On Windows XP, HP desktop, couple years old, every 10-20 days my mouse
cursor
: might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer
driver?
: Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications
at
: end of day. Thanks, Bob
:
:
: On Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:16 PM
: Bo wrote:
:
: unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?
: On Windows XP, HP desktop, couple years old, every 10-20 days my mouse
cursor
: might freeze up overnight. GE optical USB mouse. Do I need a newer
driver?
: Is there a way to unfreeze it without rebooting? I close all applications
at
: end of day. Thanks, Bob
:
: On Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:54 PM
: Gerry wrote:
:
: BobEven though you close programmes is the computer left on 24/7?
: Bob
:
: Even though you close programmes is the computer left on 24/7?
:
: Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
: Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?
:
: How large is your hard disk and how much free space. Right click on
: your C drive in Windows and select Properties to get this information.
:
: --
:
:
:
: Hope this helps.
:
: Gerry
: ~~~~
: FCA
: Stourport, England
: Enquire, plan and execute
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:
:
: Bob wrote:
:
: On Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:58 PM
: Bo wrote:
:
: Hi, Gerry, Yes PC on 24/7 because bootup is a little slow for my tastes.
: Hi, Gerry,
:
: Yes PC on 24/7 because bootup is a little slow for my tastes.
: Commit Charge:
: Total 549280
: Limit 1259632
: Peak 557708
:
: Hard Drive total 68.4 GB
: Free space 36.7 GB
:
: Thanks for your reply! -Bob
:
: "Gerry" wrote:
:
: On Saturday, August 11, 2007 5:57 PM
:
: Bob wrote:
: Do you use hibernation overnight? This may affect mouse operation, but
: it's doubtful if you hibernate nightly and the problem occurs only every
: couple of weeks.
:
: Are mouse drivers up to date?
:
: Which aggravation bothers you more -- the occasional mouse hiccup or
: booting up your system daily, perhaps weekly?
:
: Bill
:
: On Saturday, August 11, 2007 5:58 PM
: Gerry wrote:
:
: BobHow much RAM memory?
: Bob
:
[...]
: HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
[...]
: Bob wrote:
:
: On Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:18 AM
:
: Bob wrote:
: If you have a USB mouse, unplug the USB cable, count to five, then
: replug it in. Sometimes USB mice don't get properly enumerated when a
: computer comes out of its sleep mode (S1, S3, or hibernate). I believe
: that this is a fairly common problem.
:
: -- Jeff Barnett
:
: On Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:55 AM
: sandy58 wrote:
:
: Re: unfreeze mouse cursor without rebooting?
: Try another mouse.
:
:
: Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice