Windows 10 Unexpected update

Reaction score
Just unexpectedly had a popup informing me windows update is downloading and installing Windows 10

WTF

This was a forced upgrade. I have not asked for the upgrade as yet. It tried to do it itself and gave me 30seconds to stop it.
If I hadn't it was going to download and install it automatically

Not impressed with MS at all. I feel a live chat coming along very soon if it does it again

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Very odd !

I had to go into MS website manually and then request it, in order to get Win 10.

:confused:

Reaction score
Unfortunately with the new Windows 10 you are unable to disable the updates like in previous versions of Windows. All we can do is schedule and defer the updates until they force downloading and installing.

If you ever notice your system with a sudden surge of sluggish performance check Windows updates. However, this shouldn't effect mid to high end PCs.

Reaction score
I keep deferring the update to Win 10 until the new pc comes along later in the year when it is forced on me!!
Until then I have a right NOT to have it on my pc, after all Bootneck fought for peace, I think?:p

Reaction score
Unfortunately with the new Windows 10 you are unable to disable the updates like in previous versions of Windows. All we can do is schedule and defer the updates until they force downloading and installing.

If you ever notice your system with a sudden surge of sluggish performance check Windows updates. However, this shouldn't effect mid to high end PCs.

Chedeptus, this was NOT a reminder. I have been getting those all the time. This was a forced update/install.
I was in the middle of doing something then it popped up on my screen as an auto update as would any other update. It started downloading Win10 to start installing after the download.

It told me if I was to stop the update the install of my new Windows 10 software would be cancelled

I am not impressed

PS nice system you have there ;)

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I still don't really get what people have against Win 10.

/bait.

Reaction score
I don't have anything against it...yet.

I am quite happy with 7. I don't want to be forced into a corner and made to change my operating system just because MS says it is best to

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I have nothing against Win 10 ... it's just the way MS are 'forcing' it on people that is the real peeve.

Class Action Lawsuit is recommended. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What people have against Win 10 is an insistence by MS to foist it on people against their will.

Pretty much like Google Chrome try to do all the time with their browser.

I did choose to change (not upgrade) to Win 10 but because of Google's attitude Chrome will never find a home on any of my machines.

Can we be sure that Windows was going to install Win 10? I do know there have been instances of Win 10 downloading to a temp folder within the Windows folder but I think it unlikely it would just ride roughshod with 10 over an installation of any other MS OS.

Reaction score
Can we be sure that Windows was going to install Win 10? I do know there have been instances of Win 10 downloading to a temp folder within the Windows folder but I think it unlikely it would just ride roughshod with 10 over an installation of any other MS OS.

Well it was about to on my machine. And I'm very upset about it. I have already downloaded the ISO to install when I feel fit. What happened earlier is extremely annoying

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have seen many people complain on the Windows Facebook page that MS have forced the upgrade and people have had to force a reboot to stop it. MS have replied it is just downloading but still needs user interaction to actually install W10

Reaction score
Downloading? They still don't have the right to take up space on somebodys Storage if it was not requested

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have already downloaded the ISO to install when I feel fit.

a mate of mine told me to down grade Internet Explorer to IE8 or 9 and it gets shot of the W10 taskbar icon and you don't get bothered with W10 messages. I did that 2 months ago and I don't get bothered.

Reaction score
If it does it again I will be sending them a message. I just wish I thought on and took a screen grab of it happening

Reaction score
There were several things I objected to with Windows 10. Firstly was the instant cajoling to download Windows 10 making life difficult when login in and booting up, the data mining, the advertising that was coming up whilst I was working on the PC and the fact that they forgot I purchased Windows 8.1 and there are several years to run long before the end life of Windows 8.1, The fact that the hardware and the case were mine as it is a home build PC and they have the audacity to tell me what Operating System I should be using. Also one other thing as a pensioner with limited budget was the cost of running a PC safely and the cost of needing to pay for all the extra aps one might require many requiring recurring annual fee. With Linux Mint it is free and all the aps (thousands of them) all free, yes I have given a donation to Mint as they have to develop the OS. I find that Mint does everything I need it to do for me as a home user I find it is just as easy to use as windows and am well satisfied and am surprised that many other home users haven't migrated away from Microsoft W10 to a Linux distro.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Turn off auto download of updates to stop it downloading on its own. WU treats it as an update like any other. Setting WU to notify and not download should stop it downloading the 10 update.

Ask a Question