Uncommanded Computer shutdowns

G

My computer experiences numerous uncommanded shutdowns (not reboots).

It's not related to overheating.

I recently installed a new motherboard (DFI LANPARTY KT400A) and CPU (AMD ATHLON XP 2600+), as well as a new power supply (ANTEC 350) and video board (XFX GEFORCE FX 5600). That's when the shutdowns started happening.

If I boot into a non-windows OS (i.e. PCDOS or MSDOS), the computer will run fine, for hours.

If I try to boot into Windows, it normally shutdown within seconds, usually before it completes loading. As an example, with Windows XP, I can get to the point where I can select a user, but after selecting a user, it runs for about 5 seconds and then shutsdown.

I've tried many troubleshooting techniques, and got to the point where I decided to do a clean install. When I boot to the Windows XP CD, the computer shutsdown as soon as it begins loading windows (after all the drivers have been installed).

I have not yet tried booting to a DOS disk, running FDISK to completely clean drive, and then booting to the Windows XP CD again.

Any suggestions?

H

Hugh N. Ross

Windows XP is MUCH more sensitive to the quality of hardware devices than
previous versions. You might try lowering the clock rate on the CPU or
adding memory wait states in the CMOS parameters. If none of these help,
try to return the hardware.
Hugh

Falcon16 said:
My computer experiences numerous uncommanded shutdowns (not reboots).

It's not related to overheating.

I recently installed a new motherboard (DFI LANPARTY KT400A) and CPU (AMD
ATHLON XP 2600+), as well as a new power supply (ANTEC 350) and video board
(XFX GEFORCE FX 5600). That's when the shutdowns started happening.
If I boot into a non-windows OS (i.e. PCDOS or MSDOS), the computer will run fine, for hours.

If I try to boot into Windows, it normally shutdown within seconds,
usually before it completes loading. As an example, with Windows XP, I can
get to the point where I can select a user, but after selecting a user, it
runs for about 5 seconds and then shutsdown.
I've tried many troubleshooting techniques, and got to the point where I
decided to do a clean install. When I boot to the Windows XP CD, the
computer shutsdown as soon as it begins loading windows (after all the
drivers have been installed).
I have not yet tried booting to a DOS disk, running FDISK to completely
clean drive, and then booting to the Windows XP CD again.

G

Thanks ... I'll look at that option (and here I was thinking maybe I could clock up :))).

Part of my problem is that I've changed so many things simultaneously (motherboard, CPU, memory and video board, not to mention power supply) that it's hard to isolate the problem. I hadn't thought of clocking down. I was assuming it was not a hardware problem, since it would work fine in DOS based operating systems, but that could be a false assumption.

Ask a Question