UNC Network shares slow to browse

RJ

Hi

I'm struggling here and have searched the archives - but found nothing
that helps.

We have Windows XPsp1 (+ hotfixes) clients, and a Windows 2003 domain
and file server. (Problem occured with NT4 domain also - we were
hoping it'd go away!).

LAN is QUIET 100Mb/s fully switched full duplex.

PCs re-imaged, and user profiles recreated - same effect.

Antivirus disabled on client and server during testing

When browsing to a folder via the network, we get:-

\\server\rootshare (1 second)
\\server\rootshare\users (1-5 seconds)
\\server\rootshare\users\fred (1-5 seconds)

Moving around takes anywhere between 1-10 seconds....

Map Z: to \\server\rootshare and everything takes 1-2 seconds.

Why is the performance of UNC slower than that of mapped drives?
Why is the server so slow!? Its new, clean build, and fairly quiet
(CPU < 2%; RAM 150Mb available; disks "hardly used"; minimal (if any)
paging)

Any ideas welcome!!

RJ

Interestingly - I have some more information regarding this problem

The file server in question is also the 2003 AD DC and PDC emulator
etc.

The processes "lsass and dfssvc" appear to be the culprits for slowing
down access to the file shares - as these run at 10-20% of CPU on the
file server for the entire duration of the delay. Note the file
server is the only 2003 AD server at the moment, WINS, DNS, DHCP and
AD (its well spec'd - and a small user network only).

IN ADDITION however, when we browse another file server (currenlty an
NT4 DC - due for 2003 UG this weekend), the speed is again slow, and
these processes still run on the main DC!!

So basically, whichever fileserver we browse, we get slow response,
and lsass and dfssvc processes start running at 10-20% of CPU on MAIN
fileserver and the only 2003 AD DC.

SO either this is an authentication problem, or name resolution (but
all seems okay here) or something else.

Thoughts welcome!

Malke

RJ said:
[...]

(e-mail address removed) (RJ) wrote in message

Hi - You don't mention your dns settings. Assuming your server is doing
dns, it should always point to itself with forwarding zones and gateway
set up for Internet access. Workstations should look to the server for
dns with gateway for Internet access. Post back with more details about
your settings for more help, although I'd highly suggest posting anew
to one of the server newsgroups - the regular posters are awesome.

Malke

RJ

Malke said:
Hi - You don't mention your dns settings. Assuming your server is doing
dns, it should always point to itself with forwarding zones and gateway
set up for Internet access. Workstations should look to the server for
dns with gateway for Internet access. Post back with more details about
your settings for more help, although I'd highly suggest posting anew
to one of the server newsgroups - the regular posters are awesome.

Malke

DNS is "fine". Server is doing DNS, and (afaict) is pointing to
itself. It can resolve externally. All clients use the DNS server,
and internal/external name resolution is fine. Server is running MS
ISA Firewall client to divert all "external" traffic to MS ISA server.

x-Posted to server ng's as suggested.