Unable to ping local IP address

G

I am uable to ping my local IP address. I can ping the loopback (127.0.0.1), I can ping the router, I can ping the other computer on my home network. I can ping everything on the net. I can resolve all server names as well. I am also not able to ping the computer with the trouble from my other compute

I am running Windows XP, connected to a linksys Wireless G access point router. I have DHCP enabled (static IPs has the same result)

IPConfig /al

Dhcp Enabled Ye
Autoconfiguration Enabled Ye
IP Address 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.
Default Gateway 192.168.1.
DHCP Server 192.168.1.
DNS Server 151.164.8.20

I encounter the same issue whether going through the router or connected to the DSL modem. I also experience the problem when using dial-up networking and connecting to the ISP via the modem. I am running no firewall software

I have reinstalled TCP/IP through /windows/inf. I have removed the Ethernet device through device manager and rebooted/reinstalled. I have re-isntalled the drivers for the NIC as well, no luck

Any suggestions.

G

I got the ping problem corrected. However, I am not able to access the Internet. When I walk through the Internet troubleshooting / Investigate - it states that it cannot ping my default gateway. My default gateway in ipconfig is listed as 192.168.1.1 and I am able to ping this okay.

I have tried static ip addresses and gateway with the same result.

G

Latest update - it's related to spyware programs that were removed from my computer. Supposedly, spyware programs such as sahagent and webhancer attach to winsock and redirect web traffic. Once they are removed (incorrectly) winsock is corrupted and Web traffic is no longer directed to the right network adapter. I have installed a network sniffer and can see ip traffic going out via ping and tracert. I can see incoming traffic coming in via telent or ftp. However, when I run IE, no traffic is passed on to the network adapater, it's just dropped on the floor.

I have run utilities to clean up winsock. I have deleted the registry entries, reinstalled tcp/ip through the /windows/inf, reset the tcp stack, but I still have no internet connectivity.

The latest thing I have been trying to do is to reinstall the spyware and de-install in properly - no luck so far.

Any suggestions on how to correctly clean up winsock and the registry back to the original OS version would be appreciated.

Ask a Question