Unable to open multiple browser windows

Zoe K

For some reason when I try to open another browser window
while another is already running, the old one gets closed
and replaced with the new one. Also, if a pop-up window
opens, the browser window gets closed too.

I cannot find anything in the options about resricting the
number of windows that can be opened.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Don Varnau

Hi,
From IE> Tools> Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> uncheck "Reuse windows
for launching shortcuts."

And... you have a program running which is blocking pop-up windows-
something like Yahoo Companion, Google toolbar, MSN toolbar, a firewall,
Earthlink (or another) pop-up blocker, etc.

You'll have to turn off the feature that's blocking new windows or, perhaps,
uninstall the program.

With some programs of this type, using Ctrl+click or Shift+click will allow
a new window.

Don

Zoe K

Hi there. Thanks for the reply.

There is no pop-up blocker installed that I know of. This
problem has started only recently and the only thing that
has changed is that Spybot and Ad-Aware were installed to
counter some spyware/adware problems.

The problem was there before these were installed, but is
it possible that one of these programs is causing trouble?
I've looked under the settings for both programs and I
can't find anything.

I see that a couple of other people have had the same
problem recently...is it possible that it's a virus or bug
of some sort?

Thanks,
Zoe

Don Varnau

Hi,
Are you sure that you don't have Yahoo Companion installed? How about an
Earthlink privacy or security toolbar/button? Look under IE> View> Toolbars
or IE> Tools.

From Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third party
browser extensions." If that allows additional windows to open, another
program is causing the problem.

You might try BHODemon from:
http://www.definitivesolutions.com/
or http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/bhod/
or http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3550.html
it might find a BHO that's causing this.

If you're *sure* that another program isn't causing this, these links may
help.

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm Tips #21 & 46
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#hyperlinks
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#new_window

Regards,
Don

Hi

Thanks for that and sorry to be such a pain. I have
checked which toolbars I have and I don't have Yahoo
Companion...only messenger and this is not a toolbar, just
an icon.

I have also tried unchecking the box for third party
extensions and, once unchecked and restarted, the computer
wouldn't connect to any webpages...it simply came up 'page
could not be displayed'. This was odd as my signal
strength for my wireless connection was 'excellent'.

I really don't know what else to try...any further
suggestions?

Thanks everso much!

Zoe
Are you sure that you don't have Yahoo Companion installed? How about an
Earthlink privacy or security toolbar/button? Look under IE> View> Toolbars
or IE> Tools.

From Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third party

--
MVP IE/OE
Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may participate.

"Zoe K" <bellatrix1987[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
For some reason when I try to open another browser window
while another is already running, the old one gets closed
and replaced with the new one. Also, if a pop-up window
opens, the browser window gets closed too.

I cannot find anything in the options about
resricting
the
number of windows that can be opened.

Any help will be much appreciated.

.

Don Varnau

Hi,
There appears to be a new twist to this problem. Did you try BHO Demon?
http://www.definitivesolutions.com/
or http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/bhod/
or http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3550.html
it might find a BHO that's causing this.

Try toolbar Cop from http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Toolkit.htm Backup the
registry per the instructions before removing toolbars, etc.

Don
--
[...]

From Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third party