Unable to open free/busy stuff

Tom Edelbrok

We recently migrated from an Exchange 5.5 server onto an Exchange 2003
server. Mailboxes and public folders, etc were all migrated over. This
worked great of 99% of our 80 users, but for two of us we get a nuisance
message every 30 minutes or so. It is something like this: "Unable to open
free/busy connector ...".

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is or how to fix it?

Thanks,

Tom Edelbrok

Alan Sun [MSFT]

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your posting here.

As this issue only appears on two users, it is mostly related to Outlook
client problems or corrupted mailboxes.

Please first test the problematic account on proper working Outlook client,
and check if the issue can be reproduced.

If the issue cannot be reproduced, this issue is caused by client problem.
Please use the following steps to narrow down the issue:

Step1: Use CleanFreeBusy switch
-----------------------

1. Log on the accountant machine, click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type outlook.exe /cleanfreebusy, and click OK.

Step 2: Check the setting for Free/Busy
-----------------------

1. Launch Outlook.
2. Click Tools, choose Options.
3. Click Calendar Options button, and click Free/Busy Options.
4. Check the number of months and minutes. The default should be 2 months
and 30 minutest.

Step3: New Outlook profile
-----------------------

1. Open the Control Panel, double-click Mail and you will see the "Mail"
Window.
2. Click Add and follow the prompt to create this profile.
3. Also in the "Mail" Windows, select "Prompt for a profile to be used".
4. Close and reopen Outlook, and load into the new profile.

At the other hand, if the issue is able to reproduce, please use the
following instructions to recreate the problematic mailbox:

1. Use Outlook or exmerge tool to export mailbox to PST file.

To use the Import and Export Wizard in Outlook:
a. On the File menu in Outlook, click Import and Export.
b. Under "Choose an action to perform", click "Export to a personal folder
file (.pst)", and then click Next.
c. Click to select the MAPI folder that you want to share, and then click
Next.
d. Save the PST file.

To use Exmerge, refer to the following article:
174197 XADM: Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge Program (Exmerge.exe)
Information
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=174197

2. Open the PST file from some other Outlook client to verify if we can
access inbox in the PST file.

3. If the PST file is good, go to ADUC (Active Directory Users and
Computers), right-click the problematic user and then click Exchange tasks.
Select remove exchange attributes.

4. Right-click the user again and then click Exchange tasks. Select create
mailbox.

5. Import PST back into mailbox using Exmerge or Outlook.

Hope this helps! Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards
Alan Sun
Microsoft Online Partner Support