Unable to make working backup or publish

G

I'm attempting to make a backup copy of my front page web. However, my backup (made by copying the files in wwwroot through Explorer) copy has the navigation bars missing and the asp pages (I have an Access database within my website) do not work. Please advise. Below are more specifics:

1) Web created on FP2000 using a W2000
2) When attempting to publish (to create a backup), I get an error message as follows: "An error occurred accessing your FrontPage web files. Authors : if authoring against a web server, please contact the webmaster for this server's site. WebMasters - please see the server's system log for more details." Thus, I made my backup using Explorer (just copy and pasted wwwroot)
3) When testing the backup using a WindowsXP machine and IIS, the navigational bars do not appear and the asp pages (Access database query) do not work.
4) If tried recalculating the web site and re-creating the FP extension. However, this did not fix the problems.
5) I have an Access2000 database within my web that's over 1MB.

Thanks!

Bob

G

I should add that the navigation bars appear and work when I open the website from the file location. However, the navigation bars do not appear when I open the website via IIS (via it's internet address on my home machine).

Thanks,

Bob

T

Thomas A. Rowe

You must publish from one location to another to maintain the structure of the web. So if you are
publishing back from your live site to your local machine, you would enter the publishing location
as http://localhost/webname

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

bobs said:
I should add that the navigation bars appear and work when I open the website from the file
location. However, the navigation bars do not appear when I open the website via IIS (via it's
internet address on my home machine).
Thanks,

Bob
the files in wwwroot through Explorer) copy has the navigation bars missing and the asp pages (I
have an Access database within my website) do not work. Please advise. Below are more specifics:blush:ccurred accessing your FrontPage web files. Authors : if authoring against a web server, please
contact the webmaster for this server's site. WebMasters - please see the server's system log for
more details." Thus, I made my backup using Explorer (just copy and pasted wwwroot)

G

Thanks Thomas. I don't think you understand my situation. My live site is my local machine (i.e. I use IIS that came with W2000). I'm only trying to create a backup copy of my website. I've tried publishing to create my backup, however, I'm unable to publish...see error message noted below. So...I've tried copying the files (...those under wwwroot). However, my navigation buttons do not work when I test the backup on another computer using WindowsXP and IIS. Please advise on how I can make a backup when I get an error message when publishing to a file. Thanks, Bob.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

If you want to maintain the structure, then you have to publish via FP to the Windows XP / IIS
machine.

The hidden FP folders contain info the web/machine specific, and is never published between
machines, the extensions on the receiving machine create unique info which may appear to be the same
on both machine, but it is not.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

bobs said:
Thanks Thomas. I don't think you understand my situation. My live site is my local machine (i.e. I
use IIS that came with W2000). I'm only trying to create a backup copy of my website. I've tried
publishing to create my backup, however, I'm unable to publish...see error message noted below.
So...I've tried copying the files (...those under wwwroot). However, my navigation buttons do not
work when I test the backup on another computer using WindowsXP and IIS. Please advise on how I can
make a backup when I get an error message when publishing to a file. Thanks, Bob.

M

Mardon

Hi bobs,

I was getting the same error message when trying to publish. Stefan B
Rusynko gave me the solution (see the messages toward the bottom of the
thread entitled: "Publishing Error - While Accessing FrontPage web files"
that I started on July 8th.) The problem was caused by having files over
1MB in the web that I was trying to publish. I moved all these large files
to a new subweb that contains only these files and is located just below the
top level web. Now my top level web and all subwebs, except the one with
the big files, will publish fine. The web with the big files still fails,
of course, so I just ftp them (or move them with Windows Explorer in your
case). Stefan says that the problem has been caused by a patch "...believed
to be a Windows OS or IE security patch affecting many users and versions of
FP."

G

Mardon,

Dealing with the >1MB files as you suggested, fixed the publish problem in that I'm now able to publish. Thanks. However, I'm still having problems with the published web not working. I'll address this problem in my response to Thomas. Regards.

G

Mardon, Thanks...your advice at separating the 1MB files worked in that I'm now able to publish. However, my publised copy doesn't fully work. :-(

Thomas. Please clarify how I should go about making my backups. Here's my situation:

1. I run an internal web site at work on my local machine (W2000 using IIS). I do not publish to any server and instead edit the live site when needed.

2. I desire to make a backup of my web site and test it on my home machine (XPPro using IIS).

3. I can only really test my web site with IIS since I have incorporated asp pages

4. I've tried publishing the web site to a folder on my work machine. Copying this folder onto my home machine via USB drive (i.e. I'm hesistant about trying to publish to my home machine). I've also tried copying the web site at work (say USB drive) and copying (USB drive) the files at home. In addition, I've tried all sorts of web recalculations, remove/add web extension, etc..

5. The problem is my web site looks fine (links and all) when viewing with the web browser at the directory level. However, when viewing with the web browser and IIS, the asp pages do not work and neither do the navigation bars.

6. In my situation, what is the best way to get a copy of my web site from my work (local) machine to my home machine assuming I do not have an internet connection between the two machines?

THANKS!

Bob

G

Mardon, Thanks...your advice at separating the 1MB files worked in that I'm now able to publish. However, my publised copy doesn't full work. :-(

Thomas. Please clarify how I should go about making my backup. Here's my situation:

1. I run an internal web site at work on my local machine (W2000 using IIS). I do not publish to any server and instead edit the live site when needed.

2. I desire to make a backup of my web site and test it on my home machine (XPPro using IIS).

3. I can only really test my web site with IIS since I have incorporated asp pages

4. I've tried publishing the web site to a folder on my work machine. Copying this folder onto my home machine via USB drive (i.e. I'm hesistant about trying to publish to my home machine). I've also tried copying the web site and bring them home. In addition, I've tried all sorts of web recalculations, remove/add web extension, etc..

5. The problem is my web site looks fine (links and all) when viewing with the browser at the directory level. However, when viewing with the web browser and IIS, the asp pages do not work and neither do the navigation bars.

6. In my situation, what is the best way to get a copy of my web site from my work (local) machine to my home machine assuming I do not have an internet connection between the two machines?

THANKS!

Bob

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Bob,

The 1 MB file size limitation should not effect you since you are working with IIS, at least in my
testing, the limitation only applies it publishing or trying to import a file with a size over 1 MB
to a disk-based web (C:\...)

The best option is to publish the current site (at work) to folder on your HD, then copy the folder
to your USB drive. Once at home copy the folder to a location on your HD, then open this folder in
FP, then publish to http://localhost or http://localhost/webname

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

bobs said:
Mardon, Thanks...your advice at separating the 1MB files worked in that I'm now able to publish.
However, my publised copy doesn't fully work. :-(
Thomas. Please clarify how I should go about making my backups. Here's my situation:

1. I run an internal web site at work on my local machine (W2000 using IIS). I do not publish to
any server and instead edit the live site when needed.

4. I've tried publishing the web site to a folder on my work machine. Copying this folder onto my
home machine via USB drive (i.e. I'm hesistant about trying to publish to my home machine). I've
also tried copying the web site at work (say USB drive) and copying (USB drive) the files at home.
In addition, I've tried all sorts of web recalculations, remove/add web extension, etc..
5. The problem is my web site looks fine (links and all) when viewing with the web browser at the
directory level. However, when viewing with the web browser and IIS, the asp pages do not work and
neither do the navigation bars.
6. In my situation, what is the best way to get a copy of my web site from my work (local) machine
to my home machine assuming I do not have an internet connection between the two machines?

G

Thomas,

It appears that I'm definitely impacted by the 1MB file size issue. However, there's a work around for it...(per earlier postings). However, I'm still unable to get my backup web to work on my home machine. I was able to get a backup working on my work machine using a virtual directory. However, I'm still having problems (i.e. navigation bars don't appear). Do you think that it has something to do with the fact that I'm using W2000 (and it's IIS) at work and WXPPro (and it's IIS) at home? Each version of IIS creates FP extentions... Also, do you think that if I upgraded FP2000...things may work better?

Thanks,

Bob

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Have you installed all of the Office 2000 updates on both machines?
Have you installed all of the FP2000 extensions updates on both machines?
--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

bobs said:
Thomas,

It appears that I'm definitely impacted by the 1MB file size issue. However, there's a work around
for it...(per earlier postings). However, I'm still unable to get my backup web to work on my home
machine. I was able to get a backup working on my work machine using a virtual directory. However,
I'm still having problems (i.e. navigation bars don't appear). Do you think that it has something to
do with the fact that I'm using W2000 (and it's IIS) at work and WXPPro (and it's IIS) at home? Each
version of IIS creates FP extentions... Also, do you think that if I upgraded FP2000...things may
work better?

G

How can I tell the latest release/update of the extensions that I have? I'm able to confirm that I have FP2000 extensions...however...I'm not certain that I have the latest. I'm using FP2000 SP3. Are the extensions loaded as part of FP or Windows (i.e. IIS) or both? Thanks, Bob

G

In Properties of Web Sites in IIS I see that under the ServerExtensions tab my version is 4.0.2.7802. I this the latest? Thanks, Bob

T

Thomas A. Rowe

With a web open, Tools | Web Settings.

The extensions are loaded as part of IIS.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

bobs said:
How can I tell the latest release/update of the extensions that I have? I'm able to confirm that I
have FP2000 extensions...however...I'm not certain that I have the latest. I'm using FP2000 SP3. Are
the extensions loaded as part of FP or Windows (i.e. IIS) or both? Thanks, Bob

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Bob,

You have the latest version of the FP2000 extensions.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

bobs said:
In Properties of Web Sites in IIS I see that under the ServerExtensions tab my version is
4.0.2.7802. I this the latest? Thanks, BobI have FP2000 extensions...however...I'm not certain that I have the latest. I'm using FP2000 SP3.
Are the extensions loaded as part of FP or Windows (i.e. IIS) or both? Thanks, Bob

T

Thomas A. Rowe

If you are using FP2000, there really is no need to. If you were using FP2002 or FP2003 and not
using any of the FP2002 features, then FP2000 extensions would be just fine.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Ask a Question