Unable to do email while using switch/router

G

hi
I recently bought a 4-port 10/100Mbps switch internet cable/dsl broadband router from compusa. I am able to connect both desktops(one running on xp and one on linux) on to the router and to the sbc yahoo dsl and am able to browse the internet fine. The problem is am unable to open any email account(yahoo, hotmail etc.) iam able to login to the mail account but am unable to see the mails in the inbox.
When i dont use the router and connect to dsl modem directly, am able to check emails fine. Is the problem with SMTP configuration in my router
Any help is appreciated..
Thanking yo
srinivas

S

Steve Winograd [MVP]

hi,
I recently bought a 4-port 10/100Mbps switch internet cable/dsl broadband router from compusa. I am able to connect both desktops(one running on xp and one on linux) on to the router and to the sbc yahoo dsl and am able to browse the internet fine. The problem is am unable to open any email account(yahoo, hotmail etc.) iam able to login to the mail account but am unable to see the mails in the inbox.
When i dont use the router and connect to dsl modem directly, am able to check emails fine. Is the problem with SMTP configuration in my router.
Any help is appreciated...
Thanking you
srinivas

Receiving E-mail uses your ISP's POP3 server. The SMTP server is used
for sending E-mail.

Check the POP3 server name that you've specified in your E-mail
program. With some ISPs, you can use an abbreviated name (e.g. MAIL)
when connecting directly to the modem, but you must use the full name
(e.g. MAIL.MYISP.COM) when connecting to a router. Make sure that
you've specified the correct full name.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Ask a Question