Unable to Connect After Upgrading Free Zone Alarm

golfer2

On July 25 I upgraded my free Zone Alarm to the latest version. Since then I
have not been able to connect to my e-mail server in Windows Mail.

The Windows Mail Inbox comes up but in the lower right corner it says
"Authorizing". After a minute, a box comes up saying Your POP3 server has not
responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait another 60 seconds for the
server to respond. Server: pop.mindspring.com. When I click Stop I get the
message
Account: 'my (e-mail address removed) Mail Account', Server:
'pop.mindspring.com', Protocol: POP3, Port 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number
0x800CCC19.

Can anyone help me?

Bruce Hagen

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for loss of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

Note that for some AV programs, it may be necessary to uninstall the
program and reinstall in Custom Mode and uncheck e-mail scanning when the
option arises.

golfer2

I use free AVG and while it says E-Mail Scanner Active, neither the incoming
message box nor the outgoing message box is checked.
--
golfer2

Bruce Hagen said:
Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant
layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving,
and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting
changes and has even been responsible for loss of messages. Your
up-to-date A/V program will continue to protect you sufficiently. For
more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

Note that for some AV programs, it may be necessary to uninstall the
program and reinstall in Custom Mode and uncheck e-mail scanning when the
option arises.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

golfer2 said:
On July 25 I upgraded my free Zone Alarm to the latest version. Since
then I
have not been able to connect to my e-mail server in Windows Mail.

The Windows Mail Inbox comes up but in the lower right corner it says
"Authorizing". After a minute, a box comes up saying Your POP3 server
has not
responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait another 60 seconds for
the
server to respond. Server: pop.mindspring.com. When I click Stop I get
the
message
Account: 'my (e-mail address removed) Mail Account', Server:
'pop.mindspring.com', Protocol: POP3, Port 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
Number
0x800CCC19.

Can anyone help me?

.

Bruce Hagen

Last part of my previous reply:

golfer2 said:
[...]

Problem solved. Somehow my account setup for Windows Mail had lost my
incoming e-mail address. That may be the solution to many of these other
problems with Windows Mail.
--
golfer2

Bruce Hagen said:
[...]

Gary VanderMolen

Account corruption is a typical issue when you allow antivirus programs to meddle with your mail.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)