unable to accept inbound network requests through ethernet adapters

J

Jamie Holloway

I have a XP laptop that is failing to accept inbound network requests through any Ethernet interface (wireless or direct). It appears that I have accidentally enabled firewall filtering; however, I have taken every action I know of to disable any protocol filtering. In the simplest situation, I am unable to ICMP-ping the IP address of the adapter from other computers on the LAN. Additionally, I am unable to accept inbound Netmeeting requests, remote desktop requests, etc.any inbound network requests on any tcp/ip port.

I would appreciate any advice on 1) hints on what I can do to diagnose the problem, or 2) if others have encountered a similar issue and can recommend a corrective action. I believe I have covered all of the basics to identify the problem (outlined below).

Thank you for any assistance.

Jamie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a.. Internet Connection Firewall is not checked. Internet Connection Sharing is not checked.
b.. Advanced TCP/IP Settings, TCP/IP filtering, properties; Enable box is not checked, Permit All is checked for radio buttons for tcp/udp/ip protocols.
c.. Norton firewall was installed, now it is uninstalled. Norton Anti-virus is installed.
d.. ICF has been enabled, but it is now disabled.
e.. the IPSEC Service is stopped and no policies are assigned. At one time I was using IPSec to perform protocol filtering; however, all IPSec services on this machine are stopped currently.
f.. The Cisco VPN service is stopped, and if Cisco VPN is uninstalled, I still encounter the same problem.
g.. The IPv6 ICF service is not started.
h.. If I establish a dial-up connection to an ISP, I can ping my IP address across the Internet. It appears that I only have this problem when connecting through an Ethernet interface.
i.. All Microsoft service is applied to XP.
j.. I have two other laptops with near-identical configurations, and I experience no problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J

Jamie Holloway

That's the root of my problem. I am not running a firewall.

What Firewall Product are you running?

Ask a Question