(un)install MSDTC how?

G

I've been working through some problems trying to get IIS 5.1 to run on a new Windows XP Pro (w/sp1) installation, and in the process of reading the helpful info on this newsgroup and the IIS newsgroups, I came to believe my problem was related to the MSDTC service, which seems to be a common problem. I found that when I tried to start msdtc, several errors appeared in my event log. (Interesting: none of these msdtc errors appeared when IIS fails to serve ASP pages. I just get the "class not registered" error that so many people are getting.) Among the msdtc errors were several problems accessing the log file, the path of which was wrong in the error message. One of the event entries said to do msdtc -resetlog. I did that, and now the service runs! Cool! BUT... IIS still renders the "class not defined" error whenever a request comes in for an ASP page. Okay, any info on any of this will be greatly apprecaited, but HERE IS MY MOST SPECIFIC QUESTION:

My Windows XP Pro system with SP1 does not have anything listed in the Add/Remove Windows Components for msdtc, distributed transaction anything, or anything that resembles that. I checked ever sub of every item (and the subs of those where they existed) in the Windows Components list and nothing like it is there. If I want to follow the instructions found elsewhere in a related posting to uninstall and reinstall the msdtc service, where to I go to actually do that?

Thanks in advance for any help on this, or if you have anything else to say regarding my problem with IIS and ASP.

Ask a Question