Two Frontpage questions - images and backing up

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

You mean _vti folders right? - not files.

Still curious as to why you would want to delete files that FP creates to handle your website.

| > Where Specifically did you publish to from the online web?
|
| C:\My Documents\My Webs\My Site
|
| I just searched C:\My Documents\My Webs and found...176..._vti files
| scattered in the subfolders all dated 5-21-04 (and deleted all of
| them)

Steve Easton

If you deleted all of those vti folders, you will be unable to update and manage your local web.

Did you not read my response concerning the vti_inf and vti_cnf files ??

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Steve Easton

so he/she can start all over again rebuilding the web site

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

You mean _vti folders right? - not files.

Still curious as to why you would want to delete files that FP creates to handle your website.

| > Where Specifically did you publish to from the online web?
|
| C:\My Documents\My Webs\My Site
|
| I just searched C:\My Documents\My Webs and found...176..._vti files
| scattered in the subfolders all dated 5-21-04 (and deleted all of
| them)

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

Doctor, it really hurts when I do this. Then don't do that.

Tomorrow Nyphetamine will be posting that he/she can't update his/her web.

Sorry if I'm being mean-hearted...but WHY ask experts (not me) what to do and then do exactly what they tell ya NOT to do? I don't get it.

| so he/she can start all over again rebuilding the web site
|
| --
| Steve Easton
| Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| 95isalive
| This site is best viewed............
| .......................with a computer
|
| | You mean _vti folders right? - not files.
|
| Still curious as to why you would want to delete files that FP creates to handle your website.
|

| | > Where Specifically did you publish to from the online web?
| |
| | C:\My Documents\My Webs\My Site
| |
| | I just searched C:\My Documents\My Webs and found...176..._vti files
| | scattered in the subfolders all dated 5-21-04 (and deleted all of
| | them)

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

steve,

btw...I blew up my subweb today :)...
still trying to find the pieces.

hehee.

R.

| so he/she can start all over again rebuilding the web site
|
| --
| Steve Easton
| Microsoft MVP FrontPage
| 95isalive
| This site is best viewed............
| .......................with a computer
|
| | You mean _vti folders right? - not files.
|
| Still curious as to why you would want to delete files that FP creates to handle your website.
|

| | > Where Specifically did you publish to from the online web?
| |
| | C:\My Documents\My Webs\My Site
| |
| | I just searched C:\My Documents\My Webs and found...176..._vti files
| | scattered in the subfolders all dated 5-21-04 (and deleted all of
| | them)

Nymphetamine

Steve Easton said:
If you deleted all of those vti folders, you will be unable to update and manage your local web.

Did you not read my response concerning the vti_inf and vti_cnf files ??

I dont *have* a local web. I wanted a backup and followed your
directions to publish onto my local machine, which took nearly 10
minutes and froze my comp, and the result was 150 scattered vti
folders.

Thomas A. Rowe

By publish via FP back to your local computer, you create a "Local Web".

Anyway, hope you never need to publish this "Local" copy online in a emergency.

Good luck!

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

Nymphetamine,

Actually you didn't follow the instructions, here's what you did:

Your post: "2) Whats the best way to SAVE an entire website to your hard drive?
I've tried *exporting* from Frontpage, File/Save from Explorer, and
File/Save as to my HD using Frontpage. But those only save specific
pages, and even then they don't save the linked images in those page"

You tried to EXPORT first, which may have caused havoc with your local files. Then you deleted _vti folders.

Your best bet now is to delete your LOCAL web and try to PUBLISH the online server back to your local web. Hopefully, they online web is still in one piece.

Frontpage will do most of the thinking for you if you let it do it's job. Don't do File/Saves from Explorer either

R.

| > If you deleted all of those vti folders, you will be unable to update and manage your local web.
| >
| > Did you not read my response concerning the vti_inf and vti_cnf files ??
|
| I dont *have* a local web. I wanted a backup and followed your
| directions to publish onto my local machine, which took nearly 10
| minutes and froze my comp, and the result was 150 scattered vti
| folders.

Peter Aitken

Nymphetamine said:
"Stefan B Rusynko" <[email protected]> wrote in message

C:\My Documents\My Webs\My Site

I just searched C:\My Documents\My Webs and found...176..._vti files
scattered in the subfolders all dated 5-21-04 (and deleted all of
them)

Listen carefully. THOSE FILES ARE THERE FOR A REASON!!!!!! Why are you
deleting them? This is surely why your FP is crashing.

Kevin Spencer

God forbid you should look in your Windows\System32 directory. It's REALLY
cluttered!

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

if you want to drive an retentive noobie insane tell them to look in the cookie jar.

| God forbid you should look in your Windows\System32 directory. It's REALLY
| cluttered!
|
| --
| HTH,
| Kevin Spencer
| .Net Developer
| Microsoft MVP
| Big things are made up
| of lots of little things.

| specific web site. When is the
| > > last time you cleared the Windows Temp folder, the FP Temp Folder, empty
| the Recycle Bin, ran
| > > scandisk and defrag?
| > >
| > > I have a copy of every web sites that I have worked on or created for
| clients since 1997 on my local
| > > system. The totals (including any hidden FP folders/files) are:
| >

| > I am STILL finding the vtf folders scattered ALL OVER my drive. And
| > that is just from publishing one site with one page!
| >
| > Yes I checked the dates. FP Publish is a joke of an option.

Steve Easton

Just checked my "Program Files"
4591 folders, 33,027 files in 80 directories using 2.05gb
Think I should "clean it up"??

;-)

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

Brian Mailman

oh yeah. Fill a bathtub full of water and throw in one's computer while
it's still plugged in.. That will wash it good, all right. Never have
to worry about those pesky files again.

B/

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

yeah and get rid of all those stoopid .dll files while your at it, you could rename them from .dll to .duh see what happens.

Peter Aitken said:
Listen carefully. THOSE FILES ARE THERE FOR A REASON!!!!!! Why are you
deleting them? This is surely why your FP is crashing.

If you are saying 162 folders were created and saved to locations I
did NOT specify, when I tried to save one website with one page, I say
that solution sucks.

It was the first time I tried to Publish something to that folder, I
did try the "export" option, but that was an entirely different
folder, it was months ago, and everything had been deleted.

FP works fine when I open a web from the host, edit in FP, and then
save to the host.