TweakUI removed my Control Panel

Michel Merlin

Setting a new HD on my desktop PC, by making a fresh install of
W2K US.

After tons of updates (my W2K CD has SP3, not SP4), then
installing TweakUI133 (i.e. the one for W2K), I performed the
routine settings I apply on every PC. Then suddenly, I don't
remember exactly after which benign click, TweakUI disappeared
at once.

No problem, I thought, I will relaunch it. But when clicking:
Start \Settings,
I had no more shortcut to Control Panel!
So I opened "My Computer", and there, I clicked "Control Panel".
Unfortunately, when trying to click TweakUI, I was replied
(clearer display in a fixed font, like "FixedSys" or "Courier
New"):
| Restrictions |
|______________________________________________|
| This operation has been canceled due to |
| X restrictions in effect on this computer. |
| Please contact your system administrator. |
| |
| | OK | |
|______________________________________________|

And when trying any other task in Control Panel the answer was
the same: Restrictions.

Stunned, I closed the CP and turned to something else, then
quickly tried to return to the CP.
But then, there was no more "Control Panel" in "My Computer"!

That was under user "User 1". When loging under "User 0":

- I still have access to Control Panel and TweakUI; but even
using them I still can't retrieve my due access from "User
1";
- I see that "User 1" is still duely an Administrator with full
rights.

When googling "Control Panel disappeared from My Computer!" or
"This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect
on this computer", I found plenty MSKB articles addressing
problems similar by their symptom (same "This operation has..."
message), but different by their nature, and most of them
seeking less to help users than to get some money through Help
calls.

I am offended that Microsoft removed some rights on my own PC,
of which in addition I am logged as an administrator, without
any real warning (don't argue that TweakUI is duely announced as
unsupported. TweakUI does many things that are needed, simple,
that should be in the OS; anyway a program, would it be Windows
or TweakUI or else, should never propose to an user to remove
power *from himself*, still less without stron warning, still
less when that user is an Admin, still less without telling at
once how to undo that step).

In addition, MS is trying to make money out of its own
unbelievable errors.

If I, as an administrator, am unable to access Control Panel or
TweakUI, how will I retrieve control over my own property?

Anyone can help? TIA,

Paris, Mon 6 Jun 2005 14:28:35 +0200

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Michel Merlin said:
[...]

It's rather risky sheeting out blame to various people
before you know the cause of your problem. Amongst
other things it could prevent you from finding the real
cause. As a starting point I suggest you have a close
look at the NTFS permissions of your System32 folder.
You should also check your Event Viewer messages.
Lastly, a thorough scan for spyware (e.g. with AdAware)
might be a good idea.

Michel Merlin

Denying the obvious - while proving it - is useless. I almost
completely stopped years ago to use those NGs, after they have
lost a great deal of their initial helpfulness (and competence).
This try just confirms. Too bad for the few good guys still
actively helping there.

For my little problem today I will (as usual now) do without
bothering MS NGs any more (NTFS permissions of System32 folder
and Event Viewer, which I hadn't checked, don't seem to show
anything linked to this problem. Ad-aware, that has been my
choice from its beginning, is installed and regularly running on
most PCs around me, but wasn't installed yet on this one); probably
will I (when I get time to reach the involved PC) restart from fresh
the installation that was being made.

Paris, Mon 6 Jun 2005 19:10:10 +0200

[...]

3

3c273

--snip--
Then suddenly, I don't
remember exactly after which benign click, TweakUI disappeared
at once.

Obviously not very benign, that click. (You don't say what you clicked.
Hmm?)

--snip--
I am offended that Microsoft removed some rights on my own PC,

I believe the user, not Microsoft, removed those rights when the user made
that not so benign click.

Seriously, I wish I could help but you don't say what settings you changed
or what you clicked and then you blame MS for your mistake. If you know
which setting(s) you changed, maybe someone could help.

Louis