Trying to network Win98 and WinXP

G

In connecting the two together via Cat5 I ran the network wizard in XP. But when they were finally connected I could see the 98 machine from the XP one. But the 98 machine was oblivious to the XP machine.

G

I guess I wasnt very clear. I can see the Win98 machine from the Xp machine. I cant see the WinXP machine from the Win98 machine.

G

I did get that. That's why I'm thinking that the Cat 5 Cable is not a Crossover Cable
The way to test if it's a crossover, is to reverse the cable end connections between the 2 machines
You should then be able to see the XP machine from the 98 machine, but not the 98 from the XP
If it is a crossover Cat 5 then there may just be a sharing problem with XP. Go through the folders that you want to share and right click on them, then make sure that sharing is on
If this doesn't work, try to uninstall the NICs from Device Manager and reinstall them
then run the XP network setup wizard on both machines again, using the CD

R

Ron Lowe

mikeH said:
In connecting the two together via Cat5 I ran the network wizard in XP.
But when they were finally connected I could see the 98 machine from the XP
one. But the 98 machine was oblivious to the XP machine.

Check the firewall is disabled on the XP LAN connection.

Ask a Question