Trying to get a "perfect" scan of original documents...

James Rowe, Sr.

Hello...

I am using an Epson Perfection 2580 and my goal is to make PDF files
of many documents I have accumulated over the years. An example of
the text in these documents would be at:

http://www.drf.com/row/pps/04hol_futurity.pdf

I want to preserve the quality as much as possible. So far, my best
bet has been to use grayscale at 600 dpi, scan as a TIFF and then
importing it into Acrobat to convert to a PDF. I have found the
histogram hints at www.scantips.com very useful, because the biggest
issue has been the faint gray background that results from the scan.
The quality is very good, although I wonder if I can do better.

Also, I do have a few issues. Each page is a couple of MB, which
isn't the end of the world, and I'd take the size hit if I'm gaining
the quality. I have tried to use B&W mode and the resulting scans are
just not as good. Same with 300 vs. 600. There is definitely a
difference.

Anyway, before I get underway with the project, I am wondering if what
I've found makes sense, or if someone has a suggestion on how to do
this either better (for quality) or more efficiently (either file
size, a software suggestion, or maybe the TIF to PDF process).

Any thought appreciated...thanks and enjoy the holidays.

CSM1

James Rowe said:
[...]

Your PDF looks very good. I do see a cropping on the right edge. Maybe
change to landscape orientation to get the full width of the document in the
PDF.
The size of the PDF is not bad, it is 141KB.

You seem to have found a method that works.

If Acrobat can except a .GIF file, you would really reduce the size of the
scanned file. If you have to use a TIFF, you will just have to take the
couple of MB hit.

The only suggestion I would make on scanning, is to try adjusting the
threshold setting in B&W Text mode, to see if you can eliminate the
background of the paper and get blacker black.

If that does not give the results you want, try adjusting the White point in
the Gray scale histogram . At some point you can White out the gray
background and keep the Black text. Also increasing the contrast will help.

There is nothing wrong with scanning at 600 dpi to get the needed detail.
From the looks of your PDF, you needed 600 dpi, there is a lot of detail in
that document.

James Rowe, Sr.

Your PDF looks very good.

I'm sorry for the confusion. The link I had posted was an example of
the originals I am working with. I only wish that my scans were that
perfect! Is it normal that my grayscale/600 scans are turning into
2MB PDFs? Neither B&W mode or 300 dpi grayscale never has looked as
good for me, and I know that the file size would be dramatically less
with either of those options.

Thanks,
Jim

?

-

Why don't you just scan directly into a .pdf? Go File > Import in Acrobat
to access this feature. You can also adjust the parameters within Acrobat
meet your quality needs while still trying to minimize file size. See the
users manual for more info. on this.

Doug

CSM1

James Rowe said:
I'm sorry for the confusion. The link I had posted was an example of
the originals I am working with. I only wish that my scans were that
perfect! Is it normal that my grayscale/600 scans are turning into
2MB PDFs? Neither B&W mode or 300 dpi grayscale never has looked as
good for me, and I know that the file size would be dramatically less
with either of those options.

Thanks,
Jim
Well, a little calculation, if you are scanning a 8.5 x 11 at 600 dpi, you
are getting:
8.5 x 600=5100 pixels
11 x 600=6600 pixels
Since gray scale uses 8 bits per pixel or one byte per pixel you have:
5100 x 6600 = 33,660,000 bytes. Which is a 32 MB TIFF.

A B&W scan uses 1 bit per pixel so divide the above by 8 (8 bits per
byte)=4,207,500 bytes for a B&W file.
My scanner software confirms the calculation. gray scale 600 dpi,
8.5x11=32,761KB and B&W=4,117KB

In the USA we use comma between thousands and a period(dot) for decimal.

If Acrobat is reducing that file down to 2 MB, I would say, Yeah!

OCR or PDF quality varies. If the originals are very clean, with no smudges
and perfect type, then the PDF or OCR results are very near perfect. The
best accuracy claimed is 99%.

There is a saying, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear". Which
means that you need silk to make a silk purse not pig skin.

If you start with less than perfect documents, then you will have trouble
with the OCR and PDF.

The best a person can hope for is the best scan possible and a little clean
up of the scan in a Photo Editor before giving it to Acrobat.

You have a big job to do.

OT:
Have you seen the PDFs made by the US government? I have never seen so many
PDFs, that are almost perfect. Any .gov web site will have many PDFs.
fcc.gov is loaded with PDF.

I guess when you have unlimited funds, you can get that kind of results.

Brian P.

You have a big job to do.
OT:
Have you seen the PDFs made by the US government? I have never seen so many
PDFs, that are almost perfect. Any .gov web site will have many PDFs.
fcc.gov is loaded with PDF.

I guess when you have unlimited funds, you can get that kind of results.
Actually, if you own Acrobat Professional, it installs device drivers
that allow you to print directly to pdf format. You can do this with a
variety of software packages like Word, PowerPoint, etc. It isn't THAT
expensive.

Brian

CSM1

Brian P. said:
Actually, if you own Acrobat Professional, it installs device drivers
that allow you to print directly to pdf format. You can do this with a
variety of software packages like Word, PowerPoint, etc. It isn't THAT
expensive.

Brian

Good to know.

Acrobat Pro is too expensive at $449 from Adobe for me.

I do not use PDF enough to justify buying it.

MikeD

Acrobat Pro is too expensive at $449 from Adobe for me.

I do not use PDF enough to justify buying it.

I use Acrobat 5 at work. It cost around 150UKP a couple of years ago. At
home I use WordPerfect Office 2002 for all my word processing. It cost me
25UKP on eBay and will produce excellent PDFs.

Mike

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Acrobat Pro is too expensive at $449 from Adobe for me.

The last installation I worked at was getting it for about $200 per seat.
Might be worth shopping around.

Brian P.

I use Acrobat 5 at work. It cost around 150UKP a couple of years ago. At
home I use WordPerfect Office 2002 for all my word processing. It cost me
25UKP on eBay and will produce excellent PDFs.

Mike

another nice feature is that the process creates searchable text so
you can query lengthy documents for desired words and phrases. It is
seems to be EXTREMELY efficient in data compression. I am working with
a 14+ meg WordPerfect document (lots of figures) that reduces down to
a perfect looking pdf document that is only about 800K. I'm still
trying to figure that one out.

Brian

lostinspace