Try this and see - is it just me?

Richard

I've been playing with my new Vista business laptop and have found a strange
problem.

If you put a JPG photo in your pictures folder and double click on it, then
it opens with Windows Photo Gallery. If you then drag the JPG file to the
desktop and double click it again, it won't open. Investigating, it seems
Photo Gallery won't open any JPG, BMP or whatever graphic file if it is on
your desktop. Create a folder on the desktop, drag the file there and bingo,
it works again.

Surely this can't be right?

Please try it and see - my PC is so new it has no software other than Dell
OEM vista 32, all available Windows updates and a copy of Office 2007, so I
don't think it's broken... I'd be interested to see if anyone else finds the
same problem!

Comments appreciated!

Richard

Mike

Richard said:
I've been playing with my new Vista business laptop and have found a strange
problem.

If you put a JPG photo in your pictures folder and double click on it, then
it opens with Windows Photo Gallery. If you then drag the JPG file to the
desktop and double click it again, it won't open. Investigating, it seems
Photo Gallery won't open any JPG, BMP or whatever graphic file if it is on
your desktop. Create a folder on the desktop, drag the file there and bingo,
it works again.

Surely this can't be right?

It doesn't do that for me. I dragged a few of JPGs to the desktop.
For one I did a move, one I did copy and one I created a shortcut.
All still opened in Photo Gallery when clicked.

Mike

Dave

I tried it, and WPG opened the jpg on the desktop.
You might check to see what the default file types are set for WPG...
Start - Default Programs - Set your default programs
on my system, WPG has 8 of 11 defaults.

Adam Albright

[...]

The "desktop" is just another folder. There is no reason why graphic
files on the desktop when clicked shouldn't open.

Richard

Adam Albright said:
The "desktop" is just another folder. There is no reason why graphic
files on the desktop when clicked shouldn't open.

Very many thanks to those who took the time to check and found it works on
their Vista installations - it does appear there's something wrong with
mine, so I am investigating.

However no thanks to you Adam I'm afraid - did you read my original post
correctly? Most people, including me, know that the desktop is just a
folder, so what exactly is your point? It seems your comments suggest that
I'm not actually having the problem I describe quite clearly, but I can
assure you I am, otherwise why would I bother to post here? Perhaps I
should have concluded my post with intelligent comments appreciated
instead!!

Richard

Adam Albright

Very many thanks to those who took the time to check and found it works on
their Vista installations - it does appear there's something wrong with
mine, so I am investigating.

However no thanks to you Adam I'm afraid - did you read my original post
correctly? Most people, including me, know that the desktop is just a
folder, so what exactly is your point? It seems your comments suggest that
I'm not actually having the problem I describe quite clearly, but I can
assure you I am, otherwise why would I bother to post here? Perhaps I
should have concluded my post with intelligent comments appreciated
instead!!

The point is I told you something you apparently didn't know; which is
there is nothing special about the Desktop. Like I said, it is just
another folder. You provided NOTHING in the way of any useful
information anyone could help you with.

Sorry, my crystal ball is in the shop for repairs, so guessing
wouldn't help you since you didn't offer any link to the file in
question therefore nobody can test it themselves to see what if
anything different happens if they drag it to their Desktop.

I try to help people that help themselves or at least provide minimal
information. You obviously just want to rant and rave over a "problem"
you seem to have caused yourself. Sorry, I have no sympathy for such
people when they snap at the hands of people trying to help them. I
have concluded you are just another hot head that doesn't know what
he's doing. Tough cookies.

You jumped to a conclusion saying "Investigating, it seems
Photo Gallery won't open any JPG, BMP or whatever graphic file if it
is on your desktop."

That's total BS. Maybe not on your system, but that clearly isn't
normal behavior which is why I told you your Desktop is just another
folder, because duh, that's all it is. You asked if anybody else had
this problem. I guess you didn't like my answer confirming you rather
pout over your experience rather than learning from it. I hope you
feel better now that you vented. <wink>

David

Works fine here. I dragged a jpg file onto the desktop and then when i
double click it, it opens in the gallery program.

Leythos

That's total BS. Maybe not on your system, but that clearly isn't
normal behavior which is why I told you your Desktop is just another
folder, because duh, that's all it is. You asked if anybody else had
this problem. I guess you didn't like my answer confirming you rather
pout over your experience rather than learning from it. I hope you
feel better now that you vented. <wink>

And then you provided no help, nothing constructive, just your typical
hate filled reply that has no value. You appear to be the one venting.
Most people don't post about someone else's computer, when they post
that X won't do Y, any reasonable person understands it means THEIR
computer.

Why are you always very confrontational instead of nice?

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Frank

Richard said:
However no thanks to you Adam I'm afraid - did you read my original post
correctly? Most people, including me, know that the desktop is just a
folder, so what exactly is your point?

hahaha...well...adam is a very insecure as*hole as evidenced by his
continual bleating for attention and he is never wrong...just ask him! :)
Frank

Adam Albright

hahaha...well...adam is a very insecure as*hole as evidenced by his
continual bleating for attention and he is never wrong...just ask him! :)
Frank

If you had a working brain Frankie I would mention the irony of your
last statement. Since you don't have a functioning brain, no point.

Adam Albright

And then you provided no help, nothing constructive, just your typical
hate filled reply that has no value. You appear to be the one venting.
Most people don't post about someone else's computer, when they post
that X won't do Y, any reasonable person understands it means THEIR
computer.

Why are you always very confrontational instead of nice?

You reap what you sow. You want to try to pick a fight with me, OK
fine, I'll be all over you like white on rice.

Richard

Adam Albright said:
[...]

Actually Adam, I think if you learned to read the words and interpret them
correctly, you'd find I have always known the desktop is just a folder. This
of course doesn't solve my problem. There is of course no point in "posting
a link to the file in question" as you suggest, because as I clearly stated
it affects ALL jpg files. Quite obviously this issue is only affecting my
PC, not Vista in general, but of course you knew that before you wrote the
pointless invective above.

Years ago I used to provide support to end-users, and like you I often got
rather annoyed when people didn't describe problems accurately enough, or
didn't provide enough information to help. However I learned to deal with
it politely, as long as they were polite to me. In this case I have been
polite throughout, whereas you are clearly unable to express yourself in
anything other than an abrupt and rude manner. I have also provided every
piece of information relevant to my question. I fail to understand why you
can't grasp this very simple concept.

Happily now I'm CCIE qualified I don't have to talk to end-users, but if I
ever write a book on support techniques I'll use your drivel as an example
of "how not to do it." Many thanks for that.

Richard

Richard

Adam Albright said:
If you had a working brain Frankie I would mention the irony of your
last statement. Since you don't have a functioning brain, no point.

This is absolutely hilarious - I have no idea who this guy is, but I'd guess
he must be somewhere between 12 and 15 years old, otherwise he'd realize how
foolish he is looking by continuing his pointless torrent of drivel!

R.

The poster formerly known as 'The poster formerly

Leythos said:
And then you provided no help, nothing constructive, just your typical
hate filled reply that has no value. You appear to be the one venting.
Most people don't post about someone else's computer, when they post
that X won't do Y, any reasonable person understands it means THEIR
computer.

Why are you always very confrontational instead of nice?

Adam, you have another stalker. I hope you carry pepper spray! ;)

--
Priceless quotes in m.p.w.vista.general group:
http://protectfreedom.tripod.com/kick.html

"Only religious fanatics and totalitarian states equate morality with
legality."
- Linus Torvalds

Adam Albright

Actually Adam, I think if you learned to read the words and interpret them
correctly, you'd find I have always known the desktop is just a folder.

Actually if more people would learn HOW to properly ask questions and
supply useful information about their problem so they could be helped
without playing a game of twenty questions, everyone would benefit.
of course doesn't solve my problem. There is of course no point in "posting
a link to the file in question" as you suggest, because as I clearly stated
it affects ALL jpg files. Quite obviously this issue is only affecting my
PC, not Vista in general, but of course you knew that before you wrote the
pointless invective above.

You were the one suggesting it was a Vista bug. Now you're back
pedaling. There isn't anything factually wrong with what I said. The
desktop is just another folder. Why are you getting bent out of shape
over it? It isn't my fault you don't know what you're doing. You are
the one that asked for help.
Years ago I used to provide support to end-users, and like you I often got
rather annoyed when people didn't describe problems accurately enough, or
didn't provide enough information to help. However I learned to deal with
it politely, as long as they were polite to me.

Get over it. You like many have very thin skin and can't take any
ribbing when you ask a question in a awkward way. Now that you're
trying to make a federal case out of it only confirms you are fuming
under the collar over nothing which as you doubtless know only gives
me more ammunition to have more fun with it. Since you are obviously
so thin skinned I won't, heck I don't want you to accuse me of making
you cry next.
In this case I have been
polite throughout, whereas you are clearly unable to express yourself in
anything other than an abrupt and rude manner. I have also provided every
piece of information relevant to my question. I fail to understand why you
can't grasp this very simple concept.

You provided nothing other to say you can't open a JPEG on your
desktop then you went on to suggest it was a Vista bug. If you would
have provided the file others could have seen if or not it opened on
their desktop. Why are you obsessing over a simple suggestion?
Happily now I'm CCIE qualified I don't have to talk to end-users, but if I
ever write a book on support techniques I'll use your drivel as an example
of "how not to do it." Many thanks for that.

If you are suggesting you are so qualified why can't you solve your
own problems? A CCIE qualified person that doesn't know how to open a
JPEG file on his desktop! Priceless!

Welcome to the Putz club Richie. You'll find many here in this goofy
newsgroup with the same "skill" level you have. Next to nothing. Ask
Frankie to teach you the Putz Club secret handshake.

Adam Albright

This is absolutely hilarious - I have no idea who this guy is, but I'd guess
he must be somewhere between 12 and 15 years old, otherwise he'd realize how
foolish he is looking by continuing his pointless torrent of drivel!

Hint: I'm the guy that makes all the so-called "experts" look like the
bozos they actually are.

Adam Albright

Adam, you have another stalker. I hope you carry pepper spray! ;)

Must be my formones attract at lot of butt snifters or something that
I seem to attract the looney squad here when they got to know I'm only
going to slam dunk them time after time when they get out of line.

Frank

Adam said:
Hint: I'm the guy that makes all the so-called "experts" look like the
bozos they actually are.
hehehe...you're drunk again aren't you...lol!
Sober up you idiot!
Frank

Frank

Adam said:
[...]

hahaha...how many cases did you lose for those blood sucking attorneys
before they finally fired your stupid ass for using this style of arguing?
That many huh?
Well...anyone could have guessed at that.
Drunken loser.
Frank

Swingman

"Brian B" wrote in message
sure we will hear about a fix for this in the next week or so.

FWIW ... tried and am not able to reproduce this on my 32 bit Vista Business
with a .jpg file and WPG.

Although it does take a good bit longer for WPG to open the file than when
it is in the desktop folder.