Trunkation of files in FTP upload under Windows XP

Hans Wolf

I have just tried the upload with Windows FTP.EXE setting -w:16384,
and am still having trunkated files:

ftp> binary
200 Type set to I.
ftp> put DSCF0095.JPG
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for DSCF0095.JPG.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 351857 bytes sent in 1.65Seconds 212.99Kbytes/sec.
ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for directory listing.
total 2752
-rw-rw-r-- 1 42032 10688 344064 May 11 15:17 DSCF0095.JPG

see -- the PUT command reports 351857 bytes uploaded while the DIR
command shows only 344064 bytes stored!

The same happens when uploading with TotalCommander's FTP client.

When doing the same in Windows-98, everything proceeds well.

What is up?

Is this a known issue?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Personal Web Server Is Not Included with Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304197&Product=winxp

Installing the FTP Service in Windows XP Professional:

The FTP service is available for Windows XP Pro but doesn't install by default.
To install the FTP service:

Start the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet (go to Start, Control Panel, then click Add/Remove
Programs).

Select Add/Remove Windows Components.

Select Internet Information Services (IIS), then click Details.

Select the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Service check box, then click OK.

Click OK to close all dialog boxes.

Please visit the IIS experts in the IIS newsgroup:

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Hans Wolf" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

|I have just tried the upload with Windows FTP.EXE setting -w:16384,
| and am still having trunkated files:
|
| ftp> binary
| 200 Type set to I.
| ftp> put DSCF0095.JPG
| 200 PORT command successful.
| 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for DSCF0095.JPG.
| 226 Transfer complete.
| ftp: 351857 bytes sent in 1.65Seconds 212.99Kbytes/sec.
| ftp> dir
| 200 PORT command successful.
| 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for directory listing.
| total 2752
| -rw-rw-r-- 1 42032 10688 344064 May 11 15:17 DSCF0095.JPG
|
| see -- the PUT command reports 351857 bytes uploaded while the DIR
| command shows only 344064 bytes stored!
|
| The same happens when uploading with TotalCommander's FTP client.
|
| When doing the same in Windows-98, everything proceeds well.
|
| What is up?
|
| Is this a known issue?

Hans Wolf

Excuse me but what the problem is in, is the FTP *client* not the FTP
*server* !

Why does the FTP *client* that comes with Windows XP cuts off chuncks
of the files it is uploading?

Why should someone install the IIS to be able to simply upload files
to an FTP server?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

No, do you have a viable solution yourself? I didn't think so!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| You got a reading comprehension problem Carey?
|
| Steve
|
| Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
|
| > Personal Web Server Is Not Included with Windows XP Home Edition
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304197&Product=winxp
| >
| > Installing the FTP Service in Windows XP Professional:
| >
| > The FTP service is available for Windows XP Pro but doesn't install by default.
| > To install the FTP service:
| >
| > Start the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet (go to Start, Control Panel, then click Add/Remove
| > Programs).
| >
| > Select Add/Remove Windows Components.
| >
| > Select Internet Information Services (IIS), then click Details.
| >
| > Select the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Service check box, then click OK.
| >
| > Click OK to close all dialog boxes.
| >
| > Please visit the IIS experts in the IIS newsgroup:

Steve N.

Carey said:
No, do you have a viable solution yourself? I didn't think so!

"Better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

What's the point of providing an answer that doesn't have anything to do
with the question except for the acronym of "FTP"?

No, I don't have a solution, YET. I'm still looking.

Steve

Hans Wolf

"Better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

What's the point of providing an answer that doesn't have anything to do
with the question except for the acronym of "FTP"?

No, I don't have a solution, YET. I'm still looking.

Steve

Folks, I appreciate your assistance, but please stop flaming :)

Hans

Rob Schneider

I just did a ftp to my server, and I don't see the behaviour.

Grasping: Maybe it's just how the bytes are counted on the various
machines? Try doing a "get" to retieve the uploaded file back to your
pc and see if you can view it. If you can view it then it's at least
not corrupted. Also see if the byte count is back to what you expect.

What did you mean by: "setting -w:16384"?

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

Steve Nielsen

Hans said:
Folks, I appreciate your assistance, but please stop flaming :)

Hans

Not a flame, just calling things as I see them. People are free to
interpret it in any old way they want to.

Steve

Steve Nielsen

Hans said:
[...]

What network protocols is the NIC using? If there are any that are not
being used I would try removing them. If still no good I'd try updating
or re-installing the NIC driver.

Steve

Hans Wolf

What network protocols is the NIC using? If there are any that are not
being used I would try removing them. If still no good I'd try updating
or re-installing the NIC driver.

Steve

ftp -w:16384 host -- means the buffer value of 16384, the default
being 4096.

I am working on a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP SP1.

I am connecting to two different FTP servers, one WU-2.6.1 under
Unix, the other SERV-U 32 under Windows 2000.

Both behave the same -- trunkating the uploaded file.

When I run that same FTP transfer on a Windows-98 based client FTP.EXE
-- everything works fine.

I am inclined to agree that this may be the NIC driver issue ...
Thanks, will try to d/l a newer version (if available) ...

Hans

Steve Nielsen

Hans said:
ftp -w:16384 host -- means the buffer value of 16384, the default
being 4096.

I am working on a Toshiba laptop with Windows XP SP1.

I am connecting to two different FTP servers, one WU-2.6.1 under
Unix, the other SERV-U 32 under Windows 2000.

Both behave the same -- trunkating the uploaded file.

When I run that same FTP transfer on a Windows-98 based client FTP.EXE
-- everything works fine.

I am inclined to agree that this may be the NIC driver issue ...
Thanks, will try to d/l a newer version (if available) ...

Hans

Good luck and please post your results here so we can all benefit.

Steve

Hans Wolf

Good luck and please post your results here so we can all benefit.

Steve

It turns out to be a hemorrhoidal business to get the NIC driver
updates. I have an Intel PRO/100 VE NIC that is not connected thru PCI
and requires some special crap to manage it. The Intel web site is
incomprehensible ...

I updated the driver thru Windows Device Manager and it seemed to
connect somewhere, at least it asked my firewall a permission to go
out ...

The update received was the same as what had been installed on my
computer originally :(

The problem remains with the FTP protocol independently of the FTP
server where I am uploading -- whether on a Unix box or a XP Pro ...

All other Internet protocols work fine. I make flawless uploades using
a remote administration utility's file upload feature ...

The only problem is -- FTP.EXE program trunkates the uploaded files
whatever buffer size I set :(

HELP !!!

Steve Nielsen

Hans said:
[...]

Ouch! I know what you mean about Intel pages. They are worse than HP's
used to be!

What about trying Toshiba's site for a driver? I still think it may be a
driver issue. Also, if you have IR and/or wireless on the laptop you
might try removing any bridging adaptor protocol and WLAN protocol from
Network properties. I've seen them wreak havoc with wired LAN operations
on some laptops.

Steve

Hans Wolf

Ouch! I know what you mean about Intel pages. They are worse than HP's
used to be!

What about trying Toshiba's site for a driver? I still think it may be a
driver issue. Also, if you have IR and/or wireless on the laptop you
might try removing any bridging adaptor protocol and WLAN protocol from
Network properties. I've seen them wreak havoc with wired LAN operations
on some laptops.

Steve

No, I do not have any IR or wireless devices installed on that laptop.

I tried several more different FTP clients and each of them truncates
the uploaded files.

Now I do not think this is a NIC driver issue because I made an
alternative connection -- via telephone dial-up through a modem.

The dial-up connection also truncates the files uploaded with FTP.

This is some strange interaction of MY operating system (XP) and the
FTP protocol. I tried all that on a similarly updated version of the
XP operating system on a computer next door -- everything worked fine
there ...

Could you please suggest where else can I post this question?

Hans