FTP error "Illegal PORT command" caused by new motherboard

David D.

A friend of mine (who is using XP Home Edition SP2) is getting an error
message from a command-prompt FTP procedure that I wrote for her.

The procedure worked for her until she replaced her motherboard. It
continues to work ok for me on my own computer. With her new mobo, she gets
an "Illegal PORT command" error message:

G:\My Pics\My Pictures> ftp -n
ftp> open upload.myftpserver.com
Connected to upload.myftpserver.
220-
220-Welcome to the High-Speed Internet Personal Web Pages FTP server xxx
..xxx.xxx.xxx
220-You are accessing it from host yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
220-at Sat May 14 22:43:27 2005 GMT
220-

[I deleted many lines of "220-" misc. id and help messages from this
posting]
[I also substituted userid, password, ip addresses, etc. in this posting]

220-
220 PWPFTPD 2.02 (6feb2002) Server (High-Speed Internet Personal Web Pag
es FTP server) [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
ftp> user myuserid mypassword
331 Password required for myuserid.
230 User myuserid logged in.
ftp> binary
200 Type set to I.
ftp> put myphoto.jpg
500 Illegal PORT command.
503 No PORT command issued first.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

Normally, the end of the procedure looks like this:

ftp> put myphoto.jpg
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for myphoto.jpg.
226 Transfer complete.
ftp: 14505 bytes sent in 0.00Seconds 14505000.00Kbytes/sec.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

What might the problem be? It is the same disk drive (with a new drive
letter), but a different mobo. (FYI, She has no problems accessing the web
through a browser).

- David

(Forgive the cross-posting; I was not sure which would be the appropriate
ng).

Kerry Brown

David D. said:
[...]

Did she also add a router at the same time? See the following link for ftp
problems with some Linksys routers.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/linksys_ftp_port.htm

Kerry

David D.

Kerry Brown said:
"David D." <[email protected]> wrote in message
Did she also add a router at the same time? See the following link for ftp
problems with some Linksys routers.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/linksys_ftp_port.htm

Kerry

Thanks, Kerry. I will check.

However I can tell you the FTP server uses Port 21, and that her FTP client
is the Win XP Home SP2 command-prompt "FTP" command. Two of the issues
discussed in the link were that, on certain Linksys routers, the port needs
to be 21 and the client needs to use upper case for the "PORT"command (I do
not know whether or not the XP command-prompt command does that or not).

- David

Kerry Brown

David D. said:
Thanks, Kerry. I will check.

However I can tell you the FTP server uses Port 21, and that her FTP
client
is the Win XP Home SP2 command-prompt "FTP" command. Two of the issues
discussed in the link were that, on certain Linksys routers, the port
needs
to be 21 and the client needs to use upper case for the "PORT"command (I
do
not know whether or not the XP command-prompt command does that or not).

- David

After re-reading the link I think you're right. That's probably not the
problem. What firewall is she using? You may have to debug the problem at
her computer in interactive mode with ftp. Use the trace and debug commands.
I would also try using a different ftp program that has better debugging
capabilities. Once you find out the cause of the problem you could go back
to ftp.exe

Kerry

David D.

Kerry Brown said:
After re-reading the link I think you're right. That's probably not the
problem. What firewall is she using? You may have to debug the problem at
her computer in interactive mode with ftp. Use the trace and debug commands.
I would also try using a different ftp program that has better debugging
capabilities. Once you find out the cause of the problem you could go back
to ftp.exe

Kerry

Kerry,

She is running my procedure now with DEBUG and TRACE turned on.
I have also had her try it with and without "literal PASV".

Either way, the problem now appears to be intermittent. Sometimes it works;
sometimes it doesn't.
There were no surprises in the debug and trace info. Is there anything in
particular that I should be looking for?

I cannot test directly on her workstation because I am in the USA and she is
in England.

Both her old and new mobos are state-of-the-art boards with an AMD Athalon
3200+ CPU. The new mobo has dual LAN support, which she had disabled, and
is running instead through an ethernet card.

There were no changes to the existing router.

- David

Kerry Brown

David D. said:
Kerry,

She is running my procedure now with DEBUG and TRACE turned on.
I have also had her try it with and without "literal PASV".

Either way, the problem now appears to be intermittent. Sometimes it
works;
sometimes it doesn't.
There were no surprises in the debug and trace info. Is there anything in
particular that I should be looking for?

I cannot test directly on her workstation because I am in the USA and she
is
in England.

Both her old and new mobos are state-of-the-art boards with an AMD Athalon
3200+ CPU. The new mobo has dual LAN support, which she had disabled, and
is running instead through an ethernet card.

There were no changes to the existing router.

- David

It's been a couple of years since I've used the command line ftp in windows.
If a new motherboard was installed was XP reinstalled as a clean
installation or a repair install? Is she using SP2? If it's intermittent I
would suspect a hardware or driver problem. Has she had any other network
related problems? Are there any errors or warnings showing up in the event
logs? Can you try using a different ftp program?

Kerry