trigem imperial - change 400fsb

Reaction score
Hello all,
I need some help.
I have an old emachines p.c., a 370 to be precise.
This has a trigem imperial gevl motherboard ,onboard graphics( intel 845). The original processor is a celeron 1.8 gig 400mhz fsb for a 478 socket.
I decided to upgrade the ram, graphics and processor. Ram and graphics worked great however big problems with new processor.
The new processor was a celeron D 478 2.8 gig but 533mhz fsb. There was me thinking the board could take it.
with the new processor in i started up and not a peep. The power supply came on but nothing else. The cpu did not even bleep.
I spent the day online looking for the answer but no site would say if this processor upgrade on this board could be done.
The only thing i could see was that the processor needed to be sitting on a board with a 533mhz fsb.
But wouldn't it still start up and just be slower?
Can you change the fsb from 400mhz to 533 by updating the bios?
One of the options online is to use a p4 400mhz 2.6/8 but these are very rare, nobody sells 400mhz processors anymore, Well not for the price i got this celeron D for anyway.

Sorry for the length of this but if anyone can shed some light on this or point me in the right direction i would be grateful.

Thanks
T

Ask a Question