Tree note programs

meow2222

Hi all

I'm looking for a tree notes program. I've tried treepad, keynote and
neomem, but have the same issue with all 3: they wont run in plain text
mode, consequently produce files that are heavily bloated and a horror
to read across platform. (neomem is worst, 17k of garbage for just 3
lines of text)

What I need is something that will use plain text instead of
rtf/html/etc. Of course tree formatting is required, but for the notes
themselves I want text not junk.

Any ideas anyone?

cheers, NT

Susan Bugher

I'm looking for a tree notes program. I've tried treepad, keynote and
neomem, but have the same issue with all 3: they wont run in plain text
mode, consequently produce files that are heavily bloated and a horror
to read across platform. (neomem is worst, 17k of garbage for just 3
lines of text)

What I need is something that will use plain text instead of
rtf/html/etc. Of course tree formatting is required, but for the notes
themselves I want text not junk.

erm. . . KeyNote is .rtf but TreePad Lite is plain text and there's a
version for Linux.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006ORGANIZERS.php#0790-PW

Treepad Lite and Treepad Asia
Company: -- Author: Henk Hagedoorn
(Liteware) (free)
Windows OS: Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP
Other OS: Linux
Languages: English
personal database programs. They allow you to store all your notes,
emails, texts, hyperlinks, etc. into one or multiple databases. With the
look and feel of the familiar Windows explorer, editing, storing,
browsing, searching and retrieving your data can not be easier! TreePad
can be run directly from a floppy, if necessary, including data. To find
any article you previously created or imported, you can browse the tree,
in the same way as you browse directories/folders in the Windows
explorer. You can also use the internal search engine.
Home page:
http://www.treepad.com/treepadfreeware/
download v 2.9.5 [ treepad.zip (465 KB) Treepad Lite]
http://www.nlsoftware.com/download/a/?fl=treepad.zip
download Treepad Asia v 2.9.4 [ treeasia.zip (465 KB)]
http://www.nlsoftware.com/download/a/?fl=treeasia.zip
2006PL CD files: treepad.zip treeasia.zip

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

jb

Hi all

I'm looking for a tree notes program. I've tried treepad, keynote and
neomem, but have the same issue with all 3: they wont run in plain text
mode, consequently produce files that are heavily bloated and a horror
to read across platform. (neomem is worst, 17k of garbage for just 3
lines of text)

What I need is something that will use plain text instead of
rtf/html/etc. Of course tree formatting is required, but for the notes
themselves I want text not junk.

Any ideas anyone?

cheers, NT

A freeware notes program using xml as a file format:

http://home.pacbell.net/nitzsche/scrapbook.html

Michael Laplante

Hi all

I'm looking for a tree notes program. I've tried treepad, keynote and
neomem, but have the same issue with all 3: they wont run in plain text
mode, consequently produce files that are heavily bloated and a horror

Treepad is plain text. The only bloat is IIRC about five extra lines per
"node" that tell the program where a node ends and where a new one starts.
Other than that it's a very easy to read text file. I don't think you are
going to find anything simpler.

I believe there is a plain text editor out there that allows you to "fold"
up text into headings, but it doesn't produce a tree panel of the sort you
seem to be wanting.

Using a sophisticated text editor such as Notetab Lite, you could probably
design a type of tree note editor using the advanced search and find
function and some sort of "tree" at the beginning of the file that could
serve as the table of contents, but otherwise, I don't think you'll find
much else.

Michael Laplante

Michael Laplante said:
I believe there is a plain text editor out there that allows you to "fold"
up text into headings, but it doesn't produce a tree panel of the sort you
seem to be wanting.

I just thought of Netpicker at http://www.netpicker.net/.

It's meant to store clips from web pages in a tree format(very similar to
Firefox Scrapbook extension), but you have the option of storing nodes as
plain text. What it does is store each node as a separate article in a
sub-directory called 'collections'. The program acts as a wrapper allowing
you to organize the article titles in some sort of tree hierarchy while the
right-hand panel is the reader. The text files are still stored with an html
extension but they are plain text -- no html.

Might that work for you?

dansheen

Hi all

I'm looking for a tree notes program. I've tried treepad, keynote and
neomem, but have the same issue with all 3: they wont run in plain text
mode, consequently produce files that are heavily bloated and a horror
to read across platform. (neomem is worst, 17k of garbage for just 3
lines of text)

What I need is something that will use plain text instead of
rtf/html/etc. Of course tree formatting is required, but for the notes
themselves I want text not junk.

Any ideas anyone?

cheers, NT
I mentioned this on another thread and someone responded that it is
slow. I haven't found it slow on my computer. It does use rtf and html
so it may not work for you but it also runs in txt format which is what
I use:
http://www.seonote.com/

meow2222

Hi all

I'm looking for a tree notes program. I've tried treepad, keynote and
neomem, but have the same issue with all 3: they wont run in plain text
mode, consequently produce files that are heavily bloated and a horror
to read across platform. (neomem is worst, 17k of garbage for just 3
lines of text)

What I need is something that will use plain text instead of
rtf/html/etc. Of course tree formatting is required, but for the notes
themselves I want text not junk.

Any ideas anyone?

cheers, NT

ty everyone. Looks like I misinterpreted treepad's 'stuff', will go
back to that one. Thanks.

The one that uses folders sounds interesting for another task too,.

NT

Ufficio Gare

I'm looking for a tree notes program. I've tried treepad, keynote and
neomem, but have the same issue with all 3: they wont run in plain
text mode, . . . . .
keynote linkes to external files (the so-called virtual nodes), so you can
link to txt files.

U.

mike

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
ty everyone. Looks like I misinterpreted treepad's 'stuff', will go
back to that one. Thanks.
Just to check; you *were* using Treepadlite, were you, and not having a
free trial of the commercial prog which is (IMO) a lot less good because of
the bloated formats.

(Treepadlite is the best thing ever; but not if you want posh printing)

mike

meow2222

mike said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote in

Just to check; you *were* using Treepadlite, were you, and not having a
free trial of the commercial prog which is (IMO) a lot less good because of
the bloated formats.

(Treepadlite is the best thing ever; but not if you want posh printing)

mike

Just checked, yes it is treepad lite. But my memory is now refreshed:
what first bothered me about Treepad lite was the large amount of junk
it dumped in the registry, and I couldnt see a way to prevent that. I
cant think of any reason why it would need to either. It seems all the
main ones have one problem or another.

thanks,NT

Michael Laplante

Just checked, yes it is treepad lite. But my memory is now refreshed:
what first bothered me about Treepad lite was the large amount of junk
it dumped in the registry, and I couldnt see a way to prevent that. I

Treepad Lite is a standalone program with no install so there shouldn't be
any signficant registry entries -- perhaps one for the file association.
What else did you find? What did you use to track changes to the registry?

mike

Treepad Lite is a standalone program with no install so there
shouldn't be any signficant registry entries -- perhaps one for the
file association. What else did you find? What did you use to track
changes to the registry?
I personally don't understand the registry, but I used Total Uninstall, and
there don't seem to be many entries, most are tiny, and a lot are those
MRUs etc.

I don't know what the advantage is of installing, I've always used it
standalone with a few shortcuts for accessibility, perhaps someone can tell
us!

mike

mike

PS - I enclose a quote from the FM! ;)

"Installing TreePad
=============

There are two ways to install TreePad:

AUTOMATIC: Double-click Install.exe and follow the instructions. To
run TreePad, click the TreePad shortcut on your Start menu.

MANUAL: Copy the TreePad files to a new folder. To run TreePad,
double-click TreePad.exe; or create and use a shortcut to that file."

perro

I have been using this tree note program for years and I like it very
much. Although it is meant to work with the pocketpc it has a sister
program to sync with the desktop version. You don't have to have the
pocketpc version to use the pc version. It creates a txt file for each
node within directories. the text created is name with the first words
in a node. It is a no installation program just unzip and run.

example:
project x (directory)
----> due one (txt file within the project x directory)

+ it stores the text in plain txt format
+ can encrypt and decrypt nodes
+ quick search

http://tombo.sourceforge.jp/En/download.html

el perro