Treadmills - info appreciated please

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've been looking out for a "home" treadmill - but it would have to be the fold-away kind, because we lack space here. There are lots available, (some look solid and "business-like" others seem more flimsy, so guessing not a good buy.)

One question I cannot find an answer to is, how noisy are they during use? (We live in a semi-bungalow, so don't want to disturb our neighbour too much.)

I know sound levels might vary a bit, depending upon brand, etc., but a general idea would be useful. We have solid floors here, so that would probably help.

Oh, and before someone tells me to go take a "normal walk" in the great outdoors :p yes, I would, but it's not possible to do so as regularly as I'd like, hence the treadmill idea. :D
:wave:

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you live in a flat they can be a problem

They can be quite noisey tbh especailly on floorboards however you say you have solid floors
Why dont you go to a show room and try one out first?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies :D

TXD - I had a feeling they might be a bit noisy, but thinking of using it on the far side room, which would be a whole room away from the neighbour. I would have gone somewhere to get a look at them, but can't find any stockists locally (I guess most folk just walk up and downhill a lot around here :p )

Feckit, I saw some which were way out of my price-bracket :nod: But there are some on this site which might be worth a bit more research(?) (Meaning, I don't know what the site's reputation is like, or how good the products are. I always try to find out as much as I can before taking the plunge, so will dig around a bit more yet.)
:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
NordicTrack make good treadmills.
Suggest you take a look at John Lewis, they normally do a good selection in their stores.
It does also depend on your weight on which ones you can use.
The heaveir you are the more robust treadmill you need!!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Plan "B"

feckit said:
NordicTrack make good treadmills.
Suggest you take a look at John Lewis, they normally do a good selection in their stores.
It does also depend on your weight on which ones you can use.
The heaveir you are the more robust treadmill you need!!

Bloomin' cheek! :lol: :lol: Just teasing ... I mainly want to boost fitness a bit - help keep everything in working order, with a bit of cardio-vascular thrown in for good measure.

I looked at the NordicTrack in JL (online) and they looked really good........ but there is something I've been overlooking. Their overall length!
wallbash.gif
They're all far too long and won't fit anywhere here. So, short of moving, the only solution is to go for "plan B" .... an exercise bike.

Most are around 100 cm in length - much easier to accommodate here. From what I've already read, seems as if they would be quieter too.

So, if I'm not being too much of a pain, do any of you have any advice or tips regarding exercise bikes please? Any brands you would avoid, for instance? I've read oodles of "advice" web-pages this afternoon, and some reviews, but (as with the size of the treadmill) it can be easy to overlook the obvious.... well it can if you're me!! ;)

Reaction score
TC, if your not going for a treadmill then go for a cross-trainner.
This would offer you an all round areobic exercise, an exercise bike will only help the legs & cardio.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi again Feckit and thank you for the cross-trainer suggestion - they look ideal actually. I have been looking around a lot, but it looks as if I'm going to run into the same snag - namely, they are all about the same length as the treadmills. Just wouldn't be able to fit one in here.

The only ones I've seen with a shorter footprint, are those "air walker" types - an "A" frame with a kind of "swinging" motion.... know what I mean...? Don't think that would be a very "natural" walking movement, I envisage that knees would be "locked" as one zhoozhes along (bit like skiing.... er, not that I've ever done that! Lol) But I could be wrong (and someone here might know better than me.)
Ho-hum... :rolleyes:

Reaction score
feckit said:
TC, if your not going for a treadmill then go for a cross-trainner.
This would offer you an all round areobic exercise, an exercise bike will only help the legs & cardio.
I broke two bones in me foot on one so go gently

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
captain zed said:
I broke two bones in me foot on one so go gently

Yikes! Did you Zed? I have to say that I'm not the most "sure footed" person at the best of times. :p Currently I have a wee problem with my back, so the walking exercisers seemed ideal, but as mentioned already, space is something we lack here, so it's not easy to find "suitable" equipment. Will keep looking though. :)

Ask a Question